WYZE Cheapest DIY Voice Activated Door Control (No Alexa required + Phone Video)

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
With a $20 WYZE Cam, you may add a relay switch to control a garage or gate door using your voice command. Since the camera allows for 2-way communication, it includes a microphone and speaker, but for this particular setup, the speaker output will only work to drive the relay, since I never use the speaker option anyway. Your voice commands, while pressing the microphone icon in your WYZE App, will trigger a one-shot timer, activating a 5 Volts normally open relay , creating a close contact to open or close a door (check the requirements of your remote control unit). I just recently uploaded a short video showing the components:

https://youtu.be/ApUeZeblZMs

gadget78

n3wb
Reaction score
is there any other info other than that youtube clip !? ...
can only presume they using some kinda Xiaomi Defang hack ??

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
is there any other info other than that youtube clip !? ...
can only presume they using some kinda Xiaomi Defang hack ??
gadget78, sorry for my late response. Actually is fresh Wyze Cam purchase locally at HomeDepot. By just replacing the speaker output of the camera to trigger a voltage comparator (IC-555), which is connected to an external 5V relay. The comparator is “sensing” a voltage difference between the inputs of the IC, in which Pin#2 is normally below 3 volts during the idle state, an going higher while pressing the mic icon (app). In my case, the camera is located in my garage, using a N.O. contact (relay) to open the gate. You may accomplish that same action using a Wyze Smart Plug to energize an externally 120Vac coil plug-in relay, but you will need to access the action through a different page within the app (move inside the app to a different page with no video feed from my garage door). The “magic” of using your voice to activate the relay, always amaze my kids (is still a mystery for them). In reality, by just pressing the mic icon (no voice), the voltage threshold at the IC input, will be enough to activate the relay. In the comparator, the components value (RC) will determine the relay “ON” time. In my case during testing, the internal circuitry of the IC-555 and the speaker output, is enough to trigger the relay for 2 seconds (no need to add the RC components), but it could be related to the impedance presented by my relay coil. Hope it answer your question. Good luck and keep safe