X-Protect reset Hikvision Camera?

bigjezza

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,
I've been mulling this over for a while in my head but the situation is this: my Hikvision cams have stopped responding maybe 4 times in the past 8 months. Simply pulling the Ethernet cord and putting it back in solves the problem as these are PoE.

I'm thinking about getting a Netgear M4100-D10-POE switch, because it has telnet access. In theory I could come up with a program or script or something to log into the switch and kill the offending camera's ethernet port for a second to reset the cam. Yay, I wont need to get off my couch!

Having said that, is there a way to get my X-Protect Essential to run said program/script when the alarm/event is triggered for the camera not responding?

My only other thought would be to install Outlook on my server, setup a dedicated email address for cam alerts which Outlook receives, and create a rule to run the application...

dr.

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Why don't you diagnose the problem vs a temp solution?

Netgear M4100-D10-POE = 66W/8 = 8.25 PSE.

That's not enough IMHO. Look up your cameras to find the power required with IR lights. Most are 5W PD (7W w/ IR). That is likely what is causing your switch to drop cameras. If all the camera's turn on the IR lights at the same time, the switch can't do it. That is why it is very infrequent; of course your switch may just be going bad too.

Get a PoE switch with at least 10W PSE.

For just a patch, try getting one of those connected wall plug devices. Have a script check of camera IP's; if none, reset the wall plug.

bigjezza

n3wb
Reaction score
A ha! I hadn't thought of just pinging the cam every minute and if no response reset it!
I havent got that netgear switch yet but you raise a good point re power budget. I will dig deeper.
I didn't want a wall plug because it will kill all the cams for a minute, where as with a managed switch with telnet I can do it on a cam by cam basis.
I got my existing dumb poe switch new and have tried differing ports, but because it is so intermittent it's hard to isolate the cause.
But a scheduled task every minute or so will do the trick!