XProtect Essential and Windows 8.1 Pro

Sabot

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I upgraded my OS to Windows 8.1. Since, I am having login and CPU load issues since upgrading from Windows 7 Pro. Same hardware just a different OS. I can understand the login issue could be caused by my multiple installs trying to get the software to work. I don't understand the 99% CPU load. The load starts as soon as the Milestone services start. Before I can even open up the management tools. I am back to using Blue Iris which runs the CPU at 32%.

System Spec:
[h=1]Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 70A4001LUX[/h]Xeon E3-1225 v3
8GB ECC Memory
Windows 8.1 Pro
All drivers are up to date

Cameras:
2 each: Hikvision DS-2CD2032-I
2 each: Dahua IPC-HFW4300S

I am open to suggestions... I am thinking that I will not be using the software while I have Windows 8.1 installed. Good note, I am spending a lot more time learning Blue Iris.

Attachments

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Sabot

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I cranked up the old 2009 server and installed Milestone on it again. Low and behold, not a single issue. The software for at least for me will not run right on my Windows 8.1 OS. CPU usage on the Windows 7 box is around 6% vs 99% on the Windows 8 box. If I open up Smart Client the CPU climbs to around 80% on the old box but still do able. Currently I am running Xprotect on the old box and Blue Iris on the new box. Wonder how long before I over work the cameras?

Here is the specs for my old box:
Windows 7 Pro
CPU: Intel Q9650 @ 3GHz
Memory: 8GB

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Likely something in the configuration got broken when you upgraded. Have you tried uninstalling milestone to wipe out the configuration?

Sabot

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I actually started with a fresh install of both the OS and Milestone. Milestone acted really weird from the start. I had licensing issues which never really got solved. I did get into the manager just once before it would not accept my passwords. The CPU usage of 100% was just too much. When I uninstalled it daily since then, I used Revo Uninstaller Pro since it cleaned out the reg as well.

Sabot

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes, didn't do anything to improve. I just learned from tech support that 2013 didn't work on Windows 8 but 2014 is suppose to. I guess that not all the bugs are ironed out yet. I was just about to add more license but I will hold off. For the time being, I will run parallel systems as long as my cameras can handle it.

Ghislain

n3wb
Reaction score
Performance issues can be tricky to track down however I assume you have applied all windows patches on your system, installed the latest drivers for any peripherial devices and that your window log files are all clean?
Also, I remember when setting up my Intel i5 NUC, I actually had a performance issue - constant high CPU usage- that turned out to be caused by the anti-virus programme, have you tried (temporarily) disabling it?
I am on Windows 8.1 Pro 64 and Milestone Xprotect Essentials myself.