XProtect Go Web Client Video Quality - Comcast Throttling?

Discussion in 'Milestone Systems' started by kozakii, Sep 23, 2015.

Share This Page

1. kozakii

kozakii n3wb

I have 4 hikvision cameras hooked up to a xeon server running XProtect Go. When I try to view the cameras from the web client, the video is pixelated on most cameras but intermittently clears out before getting pixelated again(see attachment). I have a 50/10 cable internet connection and and trying to view from connections equal to or better than the home connection. The interesting thing is when I VPN into the server and view using the desktop app, the image quality is perfect. The video wasnt always pixelated but it started about a month or two ago and I've been trying to figure it out ever since.

Is Comcast throttling the port I'm using or doing some other shaping or is there a configuration that I'm missing?

Thanks for the help![​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. fenderman

fenderman Staff Member

@kozakii is there a bitrate setting for the web client?

3. kozakii

kozakii n3wb

I haven't found one.

4. colmcille

colmcille Getting the hang of it

I think you are answering part of your own question when you say the problem started about a month ago and you can VPN in and get a good picture that way.
    There are lots of settings you can use to fine tune the web browser client in the Management Application.
    [​IMG]

Having said that, I prefer to use the Mobile Client when I'm away from home. It also has settings similar to the above.

Attached Files:

5. kozakii

kozakii n3wb

Do I need to have a Mobile Server configured if I don't use the mobile client? I simply use the web viewer. Where are the configuration settings for the web browser client?

As a side note, how is Milestone working out for you on Windows 10? When I installed on windows 10 it had issues starting the mobile and recording servers at boot up.

6. colmcille

colmcille Getting the hang of it

Yes, you need the Mobile Server configured to have the Web Client. The tick box for it is in the General tab there on the bottom of the picture I posted.

As for Windows 10...I feel better now that I have worked out (with help and encouragement from others on this forum in a different post) how to turn off the automatic updating, rebooting, and malware checking. I just don't think that a CCTV system should be rebooting (or updating) automatically without it being a planned event by the system administrator. I never had any issues with Milestone Essential on Windows 8.1, however, Milestone has died once since my unwanted Windows 10 upgrade. This was after turning off the auto update and reboot, so I know it was not because of a reboot and then not restarting. Luckily the Milestone customer dashboard alerted me on my mobile to there being no heartbeat from the server. If it happens again Windows 10 will definitely be getting wiped and 8.1 going back on.
    BTW, why not just run the Smart Client remotely instead of the Web Client? It has so many more features. I don't have any Windows boxes apart from the server running Xprotect, so I'm forced to use either the Web Client or Mobile Client...or can't you install on a work box perhaps?

Tags: