Xtreme Optical Zoom

belmont

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
given a harbor 5 miles away where i have a yacht that I want to monitor with a security camera. I have direct line of sight and dry clear southern climate always excellent view. I am looking for recommendation for a security cam that has enough fixed zoom or PTZ that can deal with 5miles.

something like this but with security cam This is How Powerful a 65x Optical Zoom Is

Last edited:

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I hope you're joking, but somehow I doubt it. This is more a task for a telescope than a camera.

Most online lens calculators will complain if you throw numbers that big at them... but for fun give this one a whirl: Pelco Field of View Camera Lens Calculator
Plug in 26,000 for the distance in feet and a 1 meter* lens 1000mm and you get a FOV of 125' x 95' your yacht will just be a spec. *actual lens wouldn't be 1 meter it would use multiple elements

I suggest you either work out a deal with the harbor to install a camera and get it internet or put cameras on your yacht and get it connected to the internet somehow. You might be able to pull off a long range wifi link.

Last edited:

belmont

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
yes there is wifi on the harbor and even on the yacht, my goal is to have live feed of the harbor traffic not just one yacht. Sorry my text was misleading a bit. Imagine a telescope that has all the security cam features for example line crossing. Nikon Coolpix P900 has 83x zoom that does job, however I am interested in such security cam too.

So far i only found a dahua that has 48x zoom.:
SD10A248V-HNI

Last edited:

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
there are also ways to attach srl camera lenses to box cameras. Keeping your focus / dof where you want it could be a little challenging.

To me trying to get a camera with a large zoom closer to the harbor seems logical (friend/relative's house, convince a local business to put up the cam and stream the harbor view to youtube live embedded on their website to market the view from a restaurant or hotel, etc.)

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Depending on the camera, there are also ways to pipe a live feed from a dslr type camera into a computer that could be running some type of VMS that can perform analytics like line crossing.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
The best PTZs won't handle 5 miles well. You'd be able to see if your boat was still there but that is about it.

If you have power and internet already at the harbor, you could just set up a camera there and view it remotely. But if you're comfortable with networking you do one better and set up a wireless bridge as @drunkpenguin suggested. This would give you all the bandwidth you could want between the harbor and your home(?) 5 miles away so you could have the camera at the harbor and record it 24/7 in full quality at your home. You would also be able to drop the internet subscription at the harbor because your new wireless bridge would let you share the home's internet connection with the harbor.

A pair of these should create an excellent network link: http://a.co/1iT3udZ

Follow this guide to set it up: airMAX - How to Configure a Point-to-Point Link (Layer 2, Transparent Bridge)

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

belmont

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
thanks a bunch guys it really helped me to clarify the possibilities that i can have. i may give it a try using a telescope with usb cam or mount a PTZ on the top of the yacht down there.

bguy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Also keep in mind, if you are looking at the marina from 5 miles away, you are looking through 5 miles of fog/rain/snow/heat.

A telescope with a camera would be cool no matter what. Do it if you have the $$. You can get adapters so the telescope can fit something like a C mount camera.

belmont

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Also keep in mind, if you are looking at the marina from 5 miles away, you are looking through 5 miles of fog/rain/snow/heat.

A telescope with a camera would be cool no matter what. Do it if you have the $$. You can get adapters so the telescope can fit something like a C mount camera.
not much weather impact, dry and sunny desert climate mostly. Thanks i will look into that telescope options

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
At those distances you'll almost always suffer with haze and never get a 100% clear picture no matter how good the camera of optics.

BP2008 has the best suggestion, mount a camera on your yacht and then transmit the pictures back wirelessly. Alternatively if the harbour has free Wifi, you could possibly set up a network on board and access it over the WiFi link.