YC-HD785R-20X PTZ Camera - Intial Night Time Testing

SyconsciousAu

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

YC-HD785R-20X PTZ Camera purchased from Ali Express. The Camera claims a 150 metre (500 feet) IR range

Overcast Night on an unlit sports field

The focus target you are looking at comes from the Australia and New Zealand Police Recommendations for CCTV systems

http://www.anzpaa.org.au/our-work/pub...

In this first video the focus target is approximately 50 metres (165feet) from the Camera. The fence behind the trees is approximately 80 metres (265 feet)

Bit Rate: 8194 kbs
Shutter Speed: Auto
Gain: 100

All other settings are default

As you can see the focus hunts a little in this first video. Im not sure if that is because I am asking a lot of the camera to focus on a small target in a field of nothing. I hadn't yet unlocked the negative tilt when I took these videos so I couldn't tilt up to see if that improved things.

The focus target is approximately 25 metres (80 feet) from the Camera.

Bit Rate: 8194 kbs
Gain: 100

All other settings default.

Focus still hunting a little.

Same target distance but this time I changed the Shutter speed to a minimum of 1/100 sec so I was getting 1/4 of the light.

You can see that the fence at 80m and even the car behind it at about 90m is still visible at this setting. That would indicate to me that the 150m IR claim is pretty close to the mark.

Some people wandered into the area so I tracked them for a bit. They look a little over exposed to me as they get closer to the camera. The video drops into colour briefly so you can get an idea of how dark it was when I was testing.

So far the night time performance looks promising if i can get that focus hunt issue sorted, assuming it is actually a genuine issue and just not me asking a lot of the camera by giving it a flat plane with very little in the way of reference points. There didn't seem to be any hunting issue with tracking the moving people. The biggest issue for me at the moment with night testing is that it does not get dark enough to test until 9pm. I've been doing some calculations based on the results in the videos and 1/200s shutter should give useable video to 50m which should result in next to no motion blur.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chust

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I been debating about buying the 30x version. The videos you put on here look grainy, is this a light issue or settings? I bought a 18x not Huisun for a third of what this cost and is not grainy at all! I think I might just buy the 33x version of the cam I have. 33x for $550 seems like a good deal now. Please post more if you can....

SyconsciousAu

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I am thinking it is a light issue at this stage. It was pretty dark, gain was all the way up, and that will cause grain in the image.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Is the Noise Reduction on? The image will look the same on mini PTZ without NR.

SyconsciousAu

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Is the Noise Reduction on? The image will look the same on mini PTZ without NR.
On and set to 50. Might need to turn it up, or the gain down, I tried to find the darkest place I could so the noise could just be the camera working hard in low light. Won't know without further testing but like I said it takes forever to get dark at the moment.

Edit. I just did a bit more testing with the gain turned down to 51 and the reduction in grain in the image was substantial. I suspect there will be a sweet spot in there with gain, noise reduction and compensation to get the cleanest image.

SyconsciousAu

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Playing with Gain

Short clip in day mode as a reference point on available light.
Gain 100
Gain 75
Gain 50
Gain 25

Click here for the playlist to watch them in a row on youtube

Chust thought the videos before were grainy so I did some testing to see what effect reducing the Gain from 100 would have in that area.
The conditions were possibly as bad as they can get for this testing. Night, dark park, overcast and raining as well. The lighting conditions are as extreme as you will see in an urban area.

You will see in this series of videos that the camera suffers from an IR halo at short focal lenths with negative tilt angles. The halo effect gets worse with more negative tilt but improves as your focal length gets longer. Ive done some further testing and it appears that this was caused by a reflection as the effect dissapered in a different position.

The focus target is approximately 25 metres (80 feet) from the Camera. The fence behind the trees is approximately 80 metres (265 feet)

Bit Rate: 6146 kbs
Gain as stated.

Ive turned the bit rate down in this series to 6Mbs however the actual recorded bit rate in the files is less than 5Mbs. It was at 8Mbs previously and recorded bit rate was 6.7 Mbs I have noticed the reduction in quality.