Yeah. Looking for wireless setup w/dvr 6-8 camera's. need help

MtPockets

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello all,
I have a customer who wants me to locate and install 6-8 exterior wifi cameras for him. His budget is approx $2k.

Only reason why I can't go POE is because he just had an additional 2' of insulation blown into his attic and its nearly impossible now to navigate his attic.
I should also mention that the location is in Central Florida and he has also just had rolling hurricane shutters installed, soffits are really tight and he is known to trim the grass at times with a pair of scissors
so that everything is neat and presentable. So any exterior piping runs are out of the question.

Looking to find out what my options may be with a system.

I'm sure he'd like to view the cameras on TV or monitor. He's not a computer/ phone savvy person either.

This is my struggle.. lol
TIA

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello all,
I have a customer who wants me to locate and install 6-8 exterior wifi cameras for him. His budget is approx $2k.

Only reason why I can't go POE is because he just had an additional 2' of insulation blown into his attic and its nearly impossible now to navigate his attic.
I should also mention that the location is in Central Florida and he has also just had rolling hurricane shutters installed, soffits are really tight and he is known to trim the grass at times with a pair of scissors
so that everything is neat and presentable. So any exterior piping runs are out of the question.

I'm sure he'd like to view the cameras on TV or monitor. He's not a computer/ phone savvy person either.

TIA
Welcome @MtPockets

Does he want it to be reliable also???

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello all,

TIA
Use these, link here and drill a hole from the outside into the attic, then push these into the attic, Go into the attic and retrieve end of rod. If your careful, very minimum disruption to the insulation.
Hook cable to end of rod on the outside.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

StewartM

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
As you mentioned, do you really need this struggle?
WiFi cameras come with baggage, spare yourself the support headaches and run Ethernet cables. We had a similar situation were the client refused external runs and the crawl space in the roof was 3 feet at the highest point then tapered toward the edges. We outsourced to a local cabling company and they arrived with a guy that was barely 5ft/90lb. He ran the cables in a couple of hours and cost $25 per run (we drilled and supplied cable).
Keeping in mind this guy trims grass with scissors and you are still up for the headache - Look into Netgear's Arlo Pro range or Hikvision's Ezviz CA3 offerings. Maybe you can make it profitable with a maintenance contract.

area651

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hello all,

TIA
ouch.... my guess is that your preferred answer to him is.....

I'm not sure there could be enough money for me to take this on. He's already capped at $2k and now he's going to want you on call 24/7/365 to fix this "signal dropping problem". IMHO, if it can't be done right (ie, reliability) then I wouldn't be willing to do it at all.

MtPockets

n3wb
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm thinking the same, This is going to be nothing but a big headache for me in the long run, I've done several wired systems and just finished running all my cabling Cat6 throughout my attic. I've done so much work for this customer flooring, bath remodels, doors, plumbing,etc... But I'm just going to have to inform him that this is just not going to work out the way he intends. I guess I posted to be reassured. LOL. Especially talking with a buddy of mine asking me if I want to be forever tied to this project, troubleshooting etc. He's a neighbor too, So i'd hate to always see him flipping me off as he walks around the block for exercise daily.:cool: It would never end......
thanks anyways All...