Yesterday, BI as a SERVICE lost all Network Video and Web Server

Reaction score
BI has been running as a service just fine on my Win7 64-bit PRO for months, but yesterday the user interface stopped displaying video from ALL the IP cameras (Various Brands) and the Web Server stopped working. USB cameras continued to display.

Stopping the BI AS A SERVICE and running BI as an APP brought back IP camera video displays and the Web Server.
Switching Back and forth between the two modes always had the above described effects.
I've sent an email to Ken at BI Support but not heard back yet.
Using Task manager to compare running services, shows that (except for BI Service) all the same services are running.
Since I don't reboot the BI computer very often, it may have been caused by one of the September Windows Updates (Or maybe BI?)
KB3182203
KB2177186
KB3185319
KB3175024
KB3172605
KB3185911
KB3182373
KB3184122
KB890830
Any ideas?
Anybody else experienxcing something similar?

Thanks in advance

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. If you using Hardware acceleration it will not work with Windows 7 and running as a service. What version of Blue Iris are you running?

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick fix.

oops! I guess I must have enabled the HW acceleration - all my IP cameras were set to DEFAULT and when I changed it to NO, Video returned and the Web Server started working.

I'm running BI 4 - updated by download yesterday after I noticed the "problem."

I've been "luring" on this site for a coupe of months an decided to register.

FrankOceanXray

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Wonder if this is my issue... Win10Pro. Direct to disk. Checked HWA now that I think about it..... no more access to my cameras since I purchased the license.

I can browse to them, tinyCam picks them up but not BI.

Where is the hardware accelleration check box?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Wonder if this is my issue... Win10Pro. Direct to disk. Checked HWA now that I think about it..... no more access to my cameras since I purchased the license.

I can browse to them, tinyCam picks them up but not BI.

Where is the hardware accelleration check box?
It does not affect windows 10. It is in the blue iris option cameras tab as well as in each individual cameras video tab.

FrankOceanXray

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thabks fenderman. I sent an emaik for help. Do you have any offerings? All my cameras recognized. Bought license and I have not had a camera connect yet....

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thabks fenderman. I sent an emaik for help. Do you have any offerings? All my cameras recognized. Bought license and I have not had a camera connect yet....
I dont understand, did they work at some point then stop working? or never worked?
What cams? Post an image of your video config settings in BI

FrankOceanXray

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Three Dahua were all working. Now have four installed. All are viewable on tinycam and how I set their IPs via Mozilla.

All are no longer viewable via BI. Still viewable in Mozilla and tinycam.

I deleted the cams. Tried to reinstall them. Reboot the cameras manually. Restart the computer and program. Nothing.

I am sure I fat fingered a check box somewhere. I'll post images when I'm back at that PC.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
try to setup user accounts specifically for your NVR on the cameras, this way they wont lock you out and vice versa..

I just generate a random password for NVR and dont write it down, when I add a new camera then I change all the passwords to the new one.

FrankOceanXray

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
try to setup user accounts specifically for your NVR on the cameras, this way they wont lock you out and vice versa..

I just generate a random password for NVR and dont write it down, when I add a new camera then I change all the passwords to the new one.
Thanks @nayr. You are on to something as I tried to access the cams on tinycam to grab some addresses and had it pulled up on BI simultaneously. That may have been the problem.

I'll set up full admin accounts or should I restrict their rights. So one tinycam account for me and one for the wife, one BI account, ..... in that fashion?

How do I tap into the substream then? Only sending lower QI to the phones.

Last edited by a moderator:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
your NVR you'll want to have admin rights so it can make changes, but for viewers give them a user account so they cant change your configs.. making unique logins for specific apps/users/devices is a good thing when they are securely generated and permissions setup correctly.. same for your VPN, make a login per device so if a device gets lost/stolen you just have to change the password for that user and its locked out without updating a bunch of apps, scripts and programs

on your rtsp url change subtype=1 for the substream