Yet Another Camera Placement Question (YACPQ)

old

n3wb
Reaction score
Old Guy. New Here. I have one location where I can't seem to figure out what camera lens to buy. Hikvision DS-2CD2032-I 3MP bullet (or DS-2CD2032F-I 3MP bullet) I'm looking at this chart

I have a location that needs to capture people walking into the property, at 9 meters (29 3/4 feet) from the camera, and the width of the entrance is 4 meters (13 1/2 feet). (I mean that entrance is 9 meters away from the camera.) Because the property slopes down, the camera is mounted at the same height as the people walking onto the property. Is that an 8mm or a 12mm lens that I need to buy? I'm having difficulty reading the chart. I did search for it here and found the myriad of Placement questions and answers, but this camera still has me stumped. Any help / advice is much appreciated.
EDIT:
I tried using the online form here: http://www.jvsg.com/online/# and it calls for a "10.6mm lens." So I should get a 12mm, right? Or should I go down to an 8mm to make sure I have the edges of the entrance? (The 8mm is 5.3m width at the entrance, and the 12mm is only 3.6m.) Sorry, I'm n3wb at this.
EDIT: Yeah, I'm leaning toward the 12mm.

Last edited by a moderator:

dalepa

Reaction score
Can you post a camera phone image of the location... I would start with a Hik turret 2332 4mm and go from there

The Huisun 10x works really well for situations where your not sure about camera placement.

old

n3wb
Reaction score
.... I would start with a Hik turret 2332 4mm and go from there. The Huisun 10x works really well for situations where your not sure about camera placement.
Huisun is too big for the front of the house (Air BnB Acceptance Factor) As for the 4mm, there's already a 4mm bullet in that location, (that can move to the back door, where a 4mm should work.) That 4mm on the front of the house is definitely too wide angle. Not enough facial detail, and also unnecessary spillage into neighbor's yard, and the side of our house, with that current 4mm. Turret is also a bit big -- I know the night vision is way way better and you don't get spider webs, but we're trying to go for the subtle look.

MacNCheese

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
There are some nice Dahua variable lens cameras that are ideal for your situation. They generally go from about 2.8mm right up 12mm and are a good price. They aren't really any bigger than the other cams so size isn't an issue. I'm looking at one for my front so I can target specific areas such as the letter box if I need to.

Not sure if Hikvision do the same thing.

old

n3wb
Reaction score
I ended up ordering a 12mm fixed Hikvision 2032 bullet. If the calculator is off and it's too much zoom, I'll just mount the camera further away from the entrance, and it'll be less noticeable still. Well, except for those bright red IR lights at night.

old

n3wb
Reaction score
Boom. Just installed that 12mm Hikvision 2CD2032-I bullet. Zoom is enough for facial ID, even when people are looking down at the ground a little, as they enter the property. Another 4mm nearby covers the wider area. I think I got it dialed in. I have to say that calculator (linked to above) works perfectly. The camera covered exactly the area predicted by the calculator. I'll never buy another fixed lens camera without using the calculator again. Learned my lesson the easy way! So looks like 12mm is close enough to 10.6mm to work for me.

Last edited by a moderator: