Yet Another Doorbell Cam Question

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
IMG_20180927_155342.jpg

I'm avoiding the Nest, Ring and other doorbell cameras (even those with ethernet connect-ability like the Hikvision doorbell camera). Nest and Ring don't play well with BI and I've read the Hikvision doorbell camera is somewhat unimpressive in low light. So I'm trying to find a suitable mini Dahua dome POE camera with IR and built-in mic that could fit the bill.

I'm facing some challenges. 1) the top red circle is where my ethernet runs (previous owner installed), so getting a 90 degree angle may be a problem--I want to avoid a fisheye lens or running cable to a different location out there. Also, this location is roughly at eye level, therefore subject to tampering/disabling--but that's a secondary concern.

I've been searching for a while now and frankly have camera-searching-fatigue. I did find this one which could work: https://www.dahuasecurity.com/asset/upload/product/20180816/DH-IPC-HDBW4431F-AS_Datasheet_20180816.pdf

It has a built-in mic, IR and the angle of view is: H: 104° (87°, 55°), V: 57° (48°, 31°). Will this angle work without a wedge of some sort? 4MP may not perform as well at night as a 2MP, but I can't seem to find one with IR, only this one: http://us.dahuasecurity.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/Datasheet_2MP_MiniDome_Network_Camera_DH-IPC-HDB4231CN_v001_001-1.pdf

I was very close to getting the Nest Hello which I could mount in place of my doorbell (on a wedge), but after reading some posts here, it just doesn't play well with BI and I'm not subscribing to Nest. So that's out unless some workaround allows you to get live video without the camera having to connect to Nest servers.

Any help?

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm looking for something similar. POE, good at night, plays well with BI, and hopefully not too huge and ugly.

I want it so I can get a better low-mounted view of people as they approach and are on our front stoop. A doorbell with POE cam would be nice, but I'm coming to believe that a separate camera is the way to go given the current state of the art.

So I'll be watching this thread to see what people recommend.

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies! I agree and think both cameras (the dual cam setup and the 4431F) would serve well in that location. There doesn't seem to be a huge difference between the two cameras beyond 2MP vs 4MP. They both have adequate IR and audio for the location. I could be wrong, but wouldn't the dual camera perform better at night considering it has two sets of IR (if they're pointing in similar directions) and it's a 2MP versus the 4MP which may not perform as well in low lux? Speaking of which, can someone clarify for me: The sensor size listed (1/2.8" for the dual cam and 1/3.0" for the 4431F), is that the aperture size? Which one makes better use of light? The datasheets list lux info, but I've never tried to wrap my head around it. I'm guessing the 1/3.0" allows more light in and should be more clear at night, yet the minimum illumination in the technical specs for the 4431F 1/3.0" seem to indicate it needs more light for optimum performance. Do both cameras make use of the newer sensors? Any help straightening this out in my head is appreciated.

Looney, as the tester for the dual cam, do you recommend the 4431F over the dual cam? If so, why?

Another question: Having just moved to a new location I'm in touch with Andy for some new cameras. I had the Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret IPC-HDW5231R-Z and really liked it. Andy says it's being replaced by the ZE. He says the housing is a bit different and the ethernet length capability is much longer. Does it require a poe+ switch like my ptz required? Or just a regular switch?

Thanks again all, look forward to your feedback!

EDIT: Looney, just saw you said a 2MP would work well there....sorry about that.

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Sorry for the confusion. I wrongly linked to the 4 mp version.
I meant to link the 2mp version
HDBW4231F-AS
@beepsilver The HDBW4231F-As and the Dual cam 2mp will perform the same. It's a matter of preference, aesthetics and WAF.
There are several examples of both mounted at doors here on the forum. The 2mp 1/2.8 will perform better at night than the 4mp 1/3.0.

This one is what I meant to link to>>>>> https://aax-us-east.amazon-adsystem.com/x/c/QuD_5HWCIOEyV0Wsh5XPPYoAAAFmJhdyuQEAAAFKARgPYU8/https://www.amazon.com/EmpireTech-IPC-HDBW4231F-AS-Starlight-Network-English/dp/B07BBJQ4B5/ref=as_at/?creativeASIN=B07BBJQ4B5&linkCode=w61&imprToken=ITSiOtyoIY.4B.yAqqPMHw&slotNum=0&tag=ipctk-20&m=A329YQ83EBQGJF&s=merchant-items&ie=UTF8&qid=1538133614&sr=1-13

Last edited: