Yet another new lorex Costco kit. 4k IP Fusion + alarm kit

Firefighter

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
My local Costco has released yet another kit. I haven't seen these cameras and this time they don't have any info on them like model numbers etc... Now they are calling it this fusion system. Throwing in alarm system type sensors.

I'm just interested in the camera... I haven't found details about them.

Attachments

Firefighter

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Last edited:

skk85

n3wb
Reaction score
I am interested in finding specsof the cam well. Asked the store associate , they did not have much info. This is not listed in online costco. The serial no on box starts with ND0120

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am interested in finding specsof the cam well. Asked the store associate , they did not have much info. This is not listed in online costco. The serial no on box starts with ND0120
Hi skk85

I would not expect the store associates to be very knowledgeable on this topic.

I did search for the Camera model number and got no hits. Perhaps Lorex has not yet published those.

Eventually, once Costco Online gets the kit you should be able to find more specs online at Costco. ( Costco is actually very good about that ).

Indeed I am looking forward to seeing how those cameras do. I suspect they will be a bit better than the older models - which is typically the case with the Lorex $799 kits at Costco

skk85

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi skk85

I would not expect the store associates to be very knowledgeable on this topic.

I did search for the Camera model number and got no hits. Perhaps Lorex has not yet published those.

Eventually, once Costco Online gets the kit you should be able to find more specs online at Costco. ( Costco is actually very good about that ).

Indeed I am looking forward to seeing how those cameras do. I suspect they will be a bit better than the older models - which is typically the case with the Lorex $799 kits at Costco
I tried to find any model number on the display camera and unusually there is not even single marking on the whole camera. Strange.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score

skk85

n3wb
Reaction score
I chatted with Lorex customer support and they said this model is E892AB and they are claiming E891AB was phased out for this one.

Below are the exact words "E891AB has been phased out in favor of the camera model I sent earlier. The camera has generally improved quality and better motion detection, including face detection and missing item detection. ".

E892AB has 1/2.8" image sensor and customer agent said they are in the process of qualifying this for onvif

This is info shared here is purely from customer care chat

I have heard larger sensor means some times poor night vision. So comaping to the 1/1.8"E891AB this E892AB will do better job in night?. Unfortunaltey there are now reviews on this cam yet

Last edited:

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The larger the sensor, the better it will perform in low light IF all other things are equal, such as the lens speed, f stop. Given that the current "king of the hill" camera is a 4MP using that same, 1/1.8", sensor size, I wouldn't expect optimal performance using it at 8MP. Since the pixels are doubled, only half as much light reaches each pixel. During daylight, or with enough illumination, they would look quite good though, but that can be said of many, or even most, cameras when given enough light.

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

skk85

n3wb
Reaction score
Based on the specs I would avoid this camera...

4K Ultra HD Smart Deterrence IP Camera with Smart Motion Plus
E892AB-Series

Specs:

Product Specifications
Image Sensor 8MP/4K 1/2.8” CMOS
Video Format NTSC
Video Compression H.265/H.264H (Main Stream &
Sub Stream)

How about the E891AB-E with Image Sensor 8MP/4K 1/1.8”?. I want to start with something, probably build over it?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
How about the E891AB-E with Image Sensor 8MP/4K 1/1.8”?. I want to start with something, probably build over it?
Hi skk85

I know a number of people have picked up the Costco kit which had those cameras in them... iirc we have some threads covering that to some degree here.

If your local Costco has that kit in, could be worth picking up and testing if you have time to start playing with something now. ( Costco has a great return policy )

I am hoping the supply chain issues get resolved and we get a good BF-cyberweek deals this year.. not certain if that will happen though.

Firefighter

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
A buddy called me and said him and his neighbor are ready to pull the trigger after waking up and his truck was stolen. A 3rd neighbor had arlo cameras, but all were dead except one. And the one only got a corner of the road with his truck leaving at 4:30am.
I figure just pull one of these cams for a varifocal when they get the cash.

They're budget all in was this kit. Which I why I considered it, with also being able to add the lorex door bell camera and the door sensors are a nice touch later.

We may go this route and report back. Im glad they didn't Want the $299 2mp analog kit they also have in the store.

Firefighter

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I now have 3 friends who want a system that fits this perfectly. Don't want an alarm monitored but do want door sensors on an app. Sounds like this kit fits perfectly for them.

I see the sensor on the website but it has no price. And I can't find info on how many door sensors you can have. I see you can add 4 wifi pieces of equipment but is that just door bell and flood light cameras or does that include the door sensors and stuff.

Someone mentioned being able to buy this dvr for $130, where?

While this is an overall easy solution I recognize it's by far the best. Why they insist on 2.8mm lenses absolutely kills me, but I digress.

If we could get this kit in a 4camera version and be able to add 4 specific cameras that would be ideal. I'd much rather just have the right focal length 4mp version from Andy on empire tech.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
They go for the 2.8mm lens because they are cheaper and the general public like the look of the wide angle view. Go down the aisle of a store that has a camera display and you will hear people say "wow look at that view, I can protect my entire home with 4 cameras."

My neighbor raved about how great his Costco kit view was and he could see his driveway and the driveways of neighbors on either side of him.

My neighbor raved how he can tell it is me walking by on the sidewalk 45 feet away from his cams.

My neighbor had his car rummaged thru and stuff stolen last year. His footage was useless even though his car is literally within feet of his cams.

Meanwhile, the perp avoided my property other than walking on the sidewalk and my cams is what allowed the perp to be identified by police and my neighbor got his stuff back.

My neighbor scratched his head why his footage was useless. I explained to him that with his cams at 45 feet out you can recognize people you know just based on their walk, size, etc., but a total stranger and nope. And at night that bright B/W picture you have is IR washout city when the perp got close enough for the 2.8mm to actually be able to identify the person.

My neighbor has since switched out 3 of the cams based on my suggestions that he purchased from @EMPIRETECANDY . These cams allowed him to provide sufficient evidence for the police to track down some door checkers that rummaged thru his neighbors vehicle last week.

Last edited:
Reaction score
While this is an overall easy solution I recognize it's by far the best
You seem to be trying to convince yourself of this and hoping someone here will agree.

I'd much rather just have the right focal length 4mp version from Andy on empire tech.
This contradicts the first quote above.

So what is it you are asking here?

Firefighter

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I wrote that wrong my bad.

It's ** not ** the best. Just easier.

I would rather have the right focal length yes, so if I could find the dvr and add the sensors and then the right cameras from Andy my friend would get the easy lorex app and the right cameras. Pending the camera work with that dvr, sensors and app.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@Firefighter - the one nice thing about the Lorex kit is they are rebranded Dahua, so when my neighbor got his cameras from @EMPIRETECANDY he literally just swapped them out and by the time we got inside the NVR had already did it's thing and was displaying the cameras.

The disadvantage that most do not realize is that all NVRs are not created the same and these kit ones tend to have low bandwidth throughput, meaning that yeah it may allow 4K as it claims, but not for every camera - it may allow it for one or two cams. So you end up maybe having to sacrifice on bitrate and thus resolution/clarity to run with on these kits. So you then buy four cameras from Andy, but only one of them you can actually run at its potential with these NVR kits...