Yet another "What PC should I buy?" thread!

JohnCena

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello friends, I've scoured the forums for the past few weeks to learn as much as I could about installing and viewing IP cameras. I've got a VPN set up and have blocked the IP camera from accessing the internet, though I have yet to buy a switch that would dedicate them to their own VLAN... It may be too much for my heart to handle setting up the VPN server again to work with a new network. I can only pray what I've done is "good enough" lol. I've purchased a couple of cameras with one set up in my garage at the moment. (A waste, really. But it's been broken into twice, so better safe than sorry even if it's overkill) I plan to install around six total with maybe a little wiggle room left for another one or two.

The most frequent suggestions I've read for PCs for Blue Iris (currently having it run on my main PC, which obviously isn't ideal) is the Dell Optiplex or HP Elitedesk. I believe I've read that I could get a decent one for around $200 if I get lucky and find a good ebay deal, but I haven't seen a deal as good as that so far.

Currently the Dell refurbished website has a $200 dollar off coupon for the 9010 line, which uses the i5-3470S processor. With the coupon applied I should be able to get one for $249. Ideally I would like the PC to be as close to $200 as possible while still being able to run 6 + cameras at good to decent resolution/framerate. Is this a model that's worth getting to run six + cameras? Or should I be looking elsewhere? Thank you!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

JohnCena

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks. I got it for $320 (and ate $20 shipping... I don't know why it's always the shipping that bothers me haha.) but from all the suggestions I've read it should be worth it!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks. I got it for $320 (and ate $20 shipping... I don't know why it's always the shipping that bothers me haha.) but from all the suggestions I've read it should be worth it!
good deal..some of these units come with a windows 10 licenses downgraded to 7, which means you can always upgrade to 10 later...some, have a 7 only license...if you have the 7 only, then i would advise upgrading to 10 while its still free.(actually its a good idea either way)...https://www.cnet.com/news/microsoft-windows-10-free-upgrade-offer-assistive-features/