z-wave 101

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Anyone have any good resources online that explain how all this stuff works? I'm finding little, like I have a door/window sensor and it's got a bunch of devices associated, trying to figure out what they all are etc. Of course other devices too. I'm using domoticz as my controller.

randytsuch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
So did you figure it out?
I guess you already looked at the Domoticz wiki pages, but they might not have specifically what you're looking for.
Could go ask on their forum, that might be a better place for this question.

EDIT
Found this, same place has some other tutorials.
Let there be light! …when there’s motion | IQ Jar

Last edited:

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I've got a few lamp dimmers and some contact switches I'm going to put on the front and back doors, I've been tinkering around and learning some stuff and experimenting. One annoying thing about the domoticz app is that you can't just have it send push alerts only unless you don't configure email because you have to select them all. One of my next things will be to set it up so if a door sensor is tripped it sends me an alert, OR sends a command to blue iris to trigger one or all of the cameras which will also send me a push alert. I also don't see a way to "arm" domoticz from the app or what "arming" really even does.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I get both pushover alerts and emails, whats the problem?

arm/disarm are just states for your scripts, ie, if ARMED and Door === Open then Pushover('Someone Opened the fucking door!')

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I get both pushover alerts and emails, whats the problem?

arm/disarm are just states for your scripts, ie, if ARMED and Door === Open then Pushover('Someone Opened the fucking door!')
yep Finite-state machine - Wikipedia

I've got my alarm system setup more like a commercial access control system that's armed most of the time. Eg if the door is opened without motion on the inside right next to the door in the last 15 min and my cell phone isn't near the door you get a 10 second delay before the siren goes off.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I suppose getting the email isn't a huge deal, they can be delayed but as long as I'm getting the push it's cool, better then no alert haha. The only way to arm domoticz is through the security panel though right? Can I set up a dummy switch to arm and disarm?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
i dont use the arm disarm in domoticz at all, im basically always armed and if im home or not depends on if verbosity gets high or not.. when I 'arm' the house I put it in high alert mode basically

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
i dont use the arm disarm in domoticz at all, im basically always armed and if im home or not depends on if verbosity gets high or not.. when I 'arm' the house I put it in high alert mode basically
Yeah I'm thinking about that