Zavio D8520 & B8520 issues

desmolift

n3wb
Reaction score
Would it be possible to add Zavio as a sub forum? I've been looking around for a Zavio forum and can't find one. If so, it would be great to add this post.

I’d like to inform Zavio users of some issues with the 8xxx series cameras, in particular, the B8520 and the D8520. I have been working in collaboration with Zavio for quite some time now debugging these two cameras. They are newly released H.265, 5M dome & bullet.

The first thing to note is these cameras have a new 10/100/1000 Gig interface. Nice. Unfortunately, firmware C013 (shipping firmware)will not connect to a Gigabit switch. They will connect to a 10/100 switch. Zavio is aware of this problem and gave me a unreleased firmware to correct it. Although, on a Linksys LGS318P and Linksys/Cisco SRW2024P, it only connects at 100Mb/s. On the Linksys LGS116P, it connects at 1000Mb/s. So, they appear to have auto negotiation issues remaining.

Second detail to note. On close inspection of the specification sheet of the two cameras. They claim support of 802.3af/at, but state it is class 0. Zavio clarified its Type 1 Class 0 power. This is an important detail. 802.3at Class 0 is the class to interoperate with 802.3af. This class is limited to 15W of power according to the 802.3at specification. The B8520 requires >16Watts in order to operate the heater and blower while the IR LEDs are turned on. As a matter of fact, the B8520 software will disable the heater and fan if a power consumption test doesn't deliver > 16Watts. Type 1 Class 0 power is not adequate for this design. The B8520 should be Type 2 Class 4 or it has to go on a power diet. According to Zavio this is a hardware design limitation. The D8520 is a little more forgiving, requiring less power, but attached to a 802.3af switch (Linksys/Cisco SRW2024P) I had the switch disable power to the camera several times, suggesting the D8520 is also consuming more power than Type 1 Class 0 can provide. Another important detail to understand is some PSE’s (power sourcing equipment) will limit power delivery to the PD (powered device) based on port and is user configurable, others, automatically limit power delivery based on POE+ Class. For PSE’s that limit on Class, these two cameras will run into limitations only getting 802.3af power (15Watts) while attached to a 802.3at interface. For PSE’s that limit by port, they will get the required power up to 30Watts and function correctly.

So to cut to the chase, I would not suggest deploying either of these cameras on 802.3af (POE) enabled switches. Secondly, the 802.3at (POE+) switch chosen for deployment must have the ability to limit power by port. If it limits by class only it will be no better than deploying on a 802.3af (POE) switch, defeating the purpose.

These POE limitations are going to have to be fixed with a revision of the hardware. I had to deploy the B8520 with the power adapter in my situation to get around the issues interoperating with the Netsys NV-202P POE+ Ethernet extender, class limiting PSE.

As for other 8xxx series cameras, I would beware, and look closely at the specification. Hopefully this post will save Zavio users some frustration.

MatFH

n3wb
Reaction score
Good day desmolift,

Are you still an active user of this forum?

I'm facing issues with a Zavio D8520. I'm connecting my camera on POE port of my Linksys LG124P-EU switch witch is behing a router (Synology RT2600ac). I can see the camera starting an I can hear that the zoom in/out is working but my router is not delivering any IP for that camera. I have other equipment connected on that switch, like two other camera trendnet and I had no issues.
I did a test, I've connected a power supply on the camera and I connect the camera directly on the router and it's working fine, I have an IP delivered, I can connect on it and have an image. I did the same test using a none POE port of my switch and use the external power supply and it is not working. The camera power up but no IP is delivered by the router. Do you have an idea? it look like my camera is rejecting the fact that I'm connected behing a switch. I'm confused.
I hope you will be able to help me,

Thanks,
Regards,
MatFH

desmolift

n3wb
Reaction score
Good day desmolift,

Are you still an active user of this forum?

I'm facing issues with a Zavio D8520. I'm connecting my camera on POE port of my Linksys LG124P-EU switch witch is behing a router (Synology RT2600ac). I can see the camera starting an I can hear that the zoom in/out is working but my router is not delivering any IP for that camera. I have other equipment connected on that switch, like two other camera trendnet and I had no issues.
I did a test, I've connected a power supply on the camera and I connect the camera directly on the router and it's working fine, I have an IP delivered, I can connect on it and have an image. I did the same test using a none POE port of my switch and use the external power supply and it is not working. The camera power up but no IP is delivered by the router. Do you have an idea? it look like my camera is rejecting the fact that I'm connected behing a switch. I'm confused.
I hope you will be able to help me,

Thanks,
Regards,
MatFH
Sounds like you are having difficult with autonegotiation. Could be the Camera is not connecting to the switch via 1000/100/10 Ethernet. Especially since it works directly connected to the router. Be sure your switch has enough poe power if there are other poe devices connected. Try a different port on the switch. Other than that try another switch if you have one. Sorry not sure this helps.

MatFH

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for your email. I will try to use a not POE port of the switch and use external power supply. If it's work like this I will be sure that it is not a problem of switch but POE. In fact I'm really surprise because in the specifications of the switch it says that there are 12 Ports POE+ 30W but a max power of 120W which result to 10W per ports... strange...
If it works with the external power supply I will make another try with a POE injector. Thanks.