Zombies stalking my perimeter at night!

Ronnie Bailey

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have setup motion detection for my cameras and they are working well for the most part. However, when the sun goes down, I get flooded with emails (with picture attachments) from my different cameras (only 4). I have exhausted my limited knowledge on how to solve this issue, other than turning off the send email option every knight.

The only thing that I can conclude is that there are Zombies or Ghost stalking my house at night, but they don't show up on my cams.

I did prepare for this situation, by creating a new Gmail account just for my camera emails..

Any ideas on how to solve this???

thanks.

I have my setup for almost a week now, so I am getting there. Got DDNS and VPN (somewhat) working on my Asus router, so NO port forwarding, thanks to this forum and especially Silas......

Last edited:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Any ideas on how to solve this???
Are these Hikvision OEM cameras on a Hikvision NVR?
If so, you can get the NVR to show you the 'analytics' on Playback or Live View if you enable 'Rules' in the Local section of the web GUI.
That will show in detail what exactly is triggering the alerts.

Ronnie Bailey

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Two of these cameras are HiKvision cameras, and the biggest culprit. I will take a look at the analytics (have to learn aobut it) and see what you are referring to...... thanks.

I don't see anything referring to analytics under recordings.........

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Enable 'Rules' and check out the Playback screen, in single camera view.
There might be a need to have enabled the recording of analytics, I don't recall.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
in low light, there's more noise in the image. this is probably what's triggering the md. If your cameras support it, other options like line crossing or intrusion will be better. If you can add more light that may help too.

58chev

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
As @tangent mentions Line Crossing and Intrusion Detection will cover your needs. Even the slightest movement of any branches/bushes will trigger an alert.

I have 4 hikvision cameras and turned off Motion Detection for the same reasons, way too many emails.

I have setup a new Gmail account just for camera alerts to be sent to.

Ronnie Bailey

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok, added intrusion and line crossing, disabled motion detection. Now, I get an email for both intrusion and line crossing, but no video is being recording........

Edit: I think I got it now. First I setup the intrusion and Line crossing (guess I will delete line crossing), then went into storage and selected "Event". Now, when I go into the "forbidden" area, I get an email with a picture and it DOES record now........

thanks, maybe it is not ghost after all (but who knows for sure). :)

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah, probably those damn Russian zombies. They tend to be more active in election years.;)

Last edited:

Dodutils

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
can also be flying bugs attracted by the IR lights

by the way I also use Gmail accounts (one per camera) for nearly 10 years now to get my old Axis cameras alerts because at this time it was easy to handle with no local server, cameras are still working

Ronnie Bailey

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
can also be flying bugs attracted by the IR lights

by the way I also use Gmail accounts (one per camera) for nearly 10 years now to get my old Axis cameras alerts because at this time it was easy to handle with no local server, cameras are still working
Yes, I think you are correct about bugs. I keep seeing "streaks" on one of my camera recordings.