ZOSI 1080p hybrid cctv dvr - any good?

observant1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The reason I ask is I told a friend I'd install it in place of his HVR502A-16-S2 which is an unbranded dvr. He has 16 HCC3120S-IR/36 hdcvi bullet cameras thru his business. Also unbranded. Zosi is a cheap dvr, and thats why he bought it. The specs seem to indicate plug and play. ZOSI Full 1080p H.265+ 16 Channel DVR, Hybrid 4-in-1 CCTV DVR Surveillance System(Analog/AHD/TVI/CVI)

observant1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I've heard as much bad as good. If it works with his cameras I'll be happy. If not I'm gonna recommend he at least send it back and buy an oem dahua. I wish he'd asked before he ordered the zosi from amazon.

observant1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Just thought I'd return to give my opinion. When installing the hard drive into the xVR (it was separate) it obviously is cheap made. The motherboard is small with VLSI or maybe ULSI. No fan to cool the chassis, just a couple heat sinks.
The business has 16 cameras that are mostly fed via siamesecoax with two power supplies providing the 24volts. 8 of the cameras are fed with utp cat5e using baluns and power adapters for UTP cable.
Each camera came up as I attached them to the xVR. It did what it advertised it would do. The app that came with the zosi sys is so-so.

I put a 3-TB purple HDD in his old unbranded dahua and reinstalled it on monday. (that's what was wrong) I told him in my opinion his old dvr was the much better built. He gave me the zosi for my help. I havent had time to check it out much but when I was searching thru the video clips it hung up and I had to reboot.

Just providing info on my experience with the zosi. I wish I'd taken a picture of the inside of the xVR. I suppose it's not unusual for the cheap recorders to use ultra large scale integration. Electronic boards are so tiny in everything nowadays.

My take on these type systems is use siamese coax off a roll. The pre made cables is the worst way for anyone to go. You usually get better quality with more costly equipment. I prefer the Poe systems. JMHO