Zxtech Premio 12mp camera people’s thoughts?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Given that they don't mention the actual, physical, dimensions of the sensor I'm very skeptical of the claims, especially under low light or full night operation. As an example, the "king of the hill" for a 4MP camera uses a 1/1.8" sensor to be able to perform well under minimal lighting conditions. If you want to extrapolate that to 12MP a sensor three times the size would be needed to provide equivalent performance. Chasing MP is a losing game in terms of low light performance. Also, the price is a dead giveaway. Any camera with 12MP that performed well at night would, probably, be well over $1,000USD.

TechnicLee

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Given that they don't mention the actual, physical, dimensions of the sensor I'm very skeptical of the claims, especially under low light or full night operation. As an example, the "king of the hill" for a 4MP camera uses a 1/1.8" sensor to be able to perform well under minimal lighting conditions. If you want to extrapolate that to 12MP a sensor three times the size would be needed to provide equivalent performance. Chasing MP is a losing game in terms of low light performance. Also, the price is a dead giveaway. Any camera with 12MP that performed well at night would, probably, be well over $1,000USD.
Is that any good for tech specs?

Attachments

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Not really. Where is the sensor type and size mentioned? Without that, basic, knowledge they could be using an old 1/3" sensor for all you know. Daytime would look fine, night time would look black. Again, at that price range it is probable, actually very likely, not much of a camera. Dahua just released an 8MP box camera with a 4/3" sensor. Price is around $800 and does not include a lens and it is not weatherproof.

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I would avoid that camera.
Stick with International Dahua and Hikvision cameras.
You don't need 12mp, a true 12mp cam will take boat loads of processing power, and monstrous amount of storage space.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Sorry about that, missed it multiple times, but that 1/1.7" sensor is a fine sensor....for a 4MP camera. Going to 12MP theoretically, and basically practically, reduces the amount of light reaching each pixel to 1/3 versus 4MP. I suspect that they're playing tricks electronically to make the 12MP claim which is yet another reason to avoid that camera.

TechnicLee

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
mid that any good for tech specs?
Sorry about that, missed it multiple times, but that 1/1.7" sensor is a fine sensor....for a 4MP camera. Going to 12MP theoretically, and basically practically, reduces the amount of light reaching each pixel to 1/3 versus 4MP. I suspect that they're playing tricks electronically to make the 12MP claim which is yet another reason to avoid that camera.
ahh.. right I get you now. Thanks very much. I currently have two Amcrest 4K 8mp cameras on the front of my house. The performance of them is really good, but thought I could put them at the back and buy a couple of them zxtech’s for the front. Do you think I should just get another couple of Amcrest canms then?
I also have the AD110 Amcrest doorbell hooked up to my blue iris as well. And a Sunba Illuminati 5mp auto tracking camera On the front too. Plus a reolink 5mp wireless dome camera fitted inside the bulkhead of my van. Any system improvements would be good. I’m running a dell OptiPlex i7 6700 with 16gb ram. It seems to be ticking over nicely, but want another couple of cams for the rear.

Attachments

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
What looney2ns said, stick with the 5442 series. They just released a varifocal turret in the 5442 series but it's so new there haven't been any reviews yet. The 5442TM-AS is an excellent performer day or night.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
mid that any good for tech specs?

ahh.. right I get you now. Thanks very much. I currently have two Amcrest 4K 8mp cameras on the front of my house. The performance of them is really good, but thought I could put them at the back and buy a couple of them zxtech’s for the front. Do you think I should just get another couple of Amcrest canms then?
I also have the AD110 Amcrest doorbell hooked up to my blue iris as well. And a Sunba Illuminati 5mp auto tracking camera On the front too. Plus a reolink 5mp wireless dome camera fitted inside the bulkhead of my van. Any system improvements would be good. I’m running a dell OptiPlex i7 6700 with 16gb ram. It seems to be ticking over nicely, but want another couple of cams for the rear.
Any night time pictures?

TechnicLee

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Any night time pictures?
As requested,

the windscreen on the dash cam is misted up. This rarely happens, and is usually a better picture. I’ve attached another dash cam pic of what it normally looks like. I have good street lighting, with a light right outside my house.

Attachments

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
the van cam is very cool, but i think you may have the image reversed, cuz the steering wheel is on the wrong side. :)

anyways, why don't you try one (the 12mp thingee) and let us know how it works? cheers!

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score

TechnicLee

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
that said, the specs on the SONY IMX226 aren't bad. same gneration as the IMX290, decent low-light for a 12MP sensor:
Introducing Products, Image Sensor for Security/Surveillance, of Sony Semiconductor Solutions Group.
the issue is how it's been packaged up and what firmware is running the cam, in terms of configurability, reliability, etc...
thanks, I’m having trouble playing back footage from the Sunba illuminati micro sd card via the dedicated guarding vision app. I get the message unstable network, it was fine just the other day. I unplugged everything off the network, and still get the same message. It’s a backup in case blue Irish goes down. Live view works great on the app, just a problem with playback.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
could be a firmware issue, or could be a not-so-great SD card. try a different one, class10 or better, if it's convenient...