ZYXEL 1900 MANAGED SWITCH

Stanley71

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I set up my new computer toady and installed BI paid version. I am having trouble setting up the Zyxel managed switch. When I try to connect to the internet using 192.168.1.1 it wont connect. I have tried different browsers with the same result.

I have the switch plugged into my computer and a green light is illuminated. I have the switch also directly connected to my router/modem, DSL. The light on the switch is then amber in color. I have tried different cable and come up with the same result. I've spent hours reading and researching but haven't found a solution. Is the light supposed to be amber or green? I have also reset the switch but come up with the same results. Any help would be grateful.

truglo

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Is it a gs1900? Glanced at the gs1900 manual and don't see any orange leds.

Also, the gs1900 manual shows the default ip is 192.168.1.1, which is very likely to conflict with the default config on most routers. Try disconnecting the router, logging in to the switch from your pc, and changing the router's ip to something else (a unique ip, ex 192.168.1.253). Then plugin your router and see if it works.

Regarding cables, you did good testing another one. The gs1900 has auto mdix, so as long as that's enabled (typically enabled by default) you won't need a crossover cable to your router. That might be another thing you can check while your logged into your switch.

Kev

Stanley71

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Its a GS1900-8HP. I just talked to Zyxel and he told me to change the 192.168.1.1 to something higher. He said to change it in setting under network adapters. Couldn't find anything I could change there. My router is a combo modem/router would that make a difference? Don't was to screw up my modem making changes or are there setting I can change that wont mess with that?

Truglo I was able to access the router and the IP address was in the range you posted. Lots of stuff in the router settings though. I didn't change anything in the router. Disconnecting from the switch from the router didn't fix the problem.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Its a GS1900-8HP. I just talked to Zyxel and he told me to change the 192.168.1.1 to something higher. He said to change it in setting under network adapters. Couldn't find anything I could change there. My router is a combo modem/router would that make a difference? Don't was to screw up my modem making changes or are there setting I can change that wont mess with that?

Truglo I was able to access the router and the IP address was in the range you posted. Lots of stuff in the router settings though. I didn't change anything in the router. Disconnecting from the switch from the router didn't fix the problem.
The switch must be on the same subnet as your router...what is the ip address of your router?
if its is 192.168.1.x then all you need to do is log into the switch, and change the ip address to something that is not used by a device on your network...best for something outside the dhcp range, or simply reserve the address in dhcp reservation in your router settings

Stanley71

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The router is 192.168.10.254. The problem is can't log into the switch if I'm understanding you correctly about changing it.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

Stanley71

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok, I tried to follow the directions in support.microsoft but nothing is showing up like the directions state. I have windows 10 pro if that makes a difference. I can see network connection tab. Click that and get network status. There is a tab to change connection properties. It has a connect automatically switch, which can be turned off, and some other options below that but nothing where I can change the ip address. It does show the properties and the ipv4 entry but nothing I can change. Am I in the right area? Hopefully getting closer.

I got a bit closer and was able to change a network setting may be the wrong one as the internet was disabled when I changed to 192.168.1.5. Was I supposed to change the internet connection or the Ethernet connection.

Thanks Mr. F I have succeeded but my brain is fried; time for a success drink. I answered all my question via trial and error.

Last edited:

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So just wondering, why do you have a managed switch?

Stanley71

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Noloc I went on recommendations from fellow members as to what a good switch would be as well as computer and cameras. I didn’t think there would be much of a difference setting up a managed or unmanaged switch. Still don’t know as I never had an unmanaged switch or managed for that matter. Once Mr. F explained what to do I finally figured it out. Sometimes his bread crumb trail can get difficult to follow. In reality it was very simple, you just have to know what your doing. Still dont know where he got the 192.168.1.5 to change in the network but it’s in my notes forever. The point of my project was simplicity and I vered off that path a bit but now back on track, I hope. Cameras next. All the wiring is in place ready for the cameras in and outside. Going to figure how to set them up today. So why I picked managed over unmanaged?

Stanley71

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is there a way to access this switch without having to constantly change the IP in the network? Kind of a pain in the butt to keep changing IP addresses.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Is there a way to access this switch without having to constantly change the IP in the network? Kind of a pain in the butt to keep changing IP addresses.
Of course..once you access the switch you must change the IP as I instructed earlier...it needs to be on the same subnet as your router

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hi Stanley. If I understand your setup correctly, you shoud change the SWITCH ip to the "192.168.10.xxx" range. Choose a number not used for dhcp or any other device. Maybe 192.168.10.5 for example. This will put the switch on the same subnet as your PC and other devices and you will not need to change it again.

EDIT: change SWITCH IP not ROUTER

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Oops. Was typing while fenderman responded with the same answer.:)

Also it is fine to have a managed switch as you can do lots of cool stuff like recycling power to a camera that needs to re-boot remotely. Just as you have found out it does add a layer of complexity that requires the user have a basic understanding of networks.
Your getting it!

Stanley71

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
When I enter the switch via Mr. F's instructions: plug only the switch into the pc...in the pc network settings change ipv4 to 192.168.1.50, you will now be able to log into the switch at 192.168.1.1....
That worked great and I was able to enter the switch. In start up it allows you to change the IP address as show below. I have changed the IP to several other IPs but nothing seems to work after exiting. Mr. F said it must be in the same subnet as the router and I think this is where I'm going wrong. NoloC I tried your suggestions and none of the IP suggested work. Should I be changing other entries. Suggestions.

• Host Name : GS1900
  • IP Address : 192.168.1.1
  • Subnet Mask : 255.255.255.000
  • Gateway : 0.0.0.0
  • DNS : 0.0.0.0
  • NTP(Network Time Protocol) :

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
When I enter the switch via Mr. F's instructions: plug only the switch into the pc...in the pc network settings change ipv4 to 192.168.1.50, you will now be able to log into the switch at 192.168.1.1....
That worked great and I was able to enter the switch. In start up it allows you to change the IP address as show below. I have changed the IP to several other IPs but nothing seems to work after exiting. Mr. F said it must be in the same subnet as the router and I think this is where I'm going wrong. NoloC I tried your suggestions and none of the IP suggested work. Should I be changing other entries. Suggestions.

• Host Name : GS1900
  • IP Address : 192.168.1.1
  • Subnet Mask : 255.255.255.000
  • Gateway : 0.0.0.0
  • DNS : 0.0.0.0
  • NTP(Network Time Protocol) :
if your router is 192.168.10.1 then the switch must be 192.168.10.X....where X is not being used by another device...

Stanley71

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The router is 192.168.10.254. "then the switch must be 192.168.10.X....where X is not being used by another device... " or should it now be 192.168.10.XXX because of the .254, like 192.168.10.260?

Also I have a second switch same model. That would require a different IP address also? They would be hooked together by a cable as you instructed me earlier.

Last edited:

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
No there is no .260 address. Only 1-254 exist for host use. Not sure why 192.168.10.5 did not work. Could be you did not switch your PC back to dhcp or the .10 subnet. Or that address is used by another device. You can verify at the command prompt and typing "ipconfig /all" . This will display your IP address among other info.
Yes you will need a separate ip address for the other switch. Each device on your network will need a unique ip address.
If you have the time, you should check out some tcp/ip networking tutorials.

Stanley71

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks NoloC
I tried and checked everything you stated above and nothing works. I have tried dozens of combinations and still nothing. Ipconfig does give me the IP address of the Ethernet and wireless lan. Ipconfig / all doesn’t show ip addresses. Don’t know what to do with that information though. So far the only thing that works is Mr F instructions of accessing the switch. In the switch is the wizard to set up the switch but I must enter the IP address and that’s where everything goes wrong. Everytime it doesn’t work I need to reset the network ip via Mr F before I can enter the switch again. Obvisouly i’m missing something here. I have no idea what ips are used on this computer. So time again for drink.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks NoloC
I tried and checked everything you stated above and nothing works. I have tried dozens of combinations and still nothing. Ipconfig does give me the IP address of the Ethernet and wireless lan. Ipconfig / all doesn’t show ip addresses. Don’t know what to do with that information though. So far the only thing that works is Mr F instructions of accessing the switch. In the switch is the wizard to set up the switch but I must enter the IP address and that’s where everything goes wrong. Everytime it doesn’t work I need to reset the network ip via Mr F before I can enter the switch again. Obvisouly i’m missing something here. I have no idea what ips are used on this computer. So time again for drink.
its probably best for you to get an unmanaged switch...

Stanley71

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Not a chance at this point. I’ll figure this out if it kills me in the process.