Remote viewing on iOS app busted

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
Anyone ever see this? Just noticed this today. Remote viewing from iOS app just gives me the color bars but not the cameras - it behaves as though it is constantly refreshing the bars but the cameras never come up. Runs on the local LAN/Wifi just fine.

Running version 5.9.0.7 on Windows 10 pro.
Running iOS app version 2.04.05.
Tried removing the app from the phone and re-adding.
Removed the phone from the Mobile devices tab and re-added. Same issue.

IMG_0600.jpg

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Something changed on the WAN, like the IP or DNS hostname not current?
Or with the VPN?

Insure that a recent Windows Update did not set your NIC's network properties to "Public" from "Private".

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
Something changed on the WAN, like the IP or DNS hostname not current?
Or with the VPN?

Insure that a recent Windows Update did not set your NIC's network properties to "Public" from "Private".
Hey Tony - none of the above. I have Windows Update disabled and I checked the WAN address, nothing changed there as well. scratching my head on this one.

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
Are you port forwarding or using a VPN?
Actually doing both. I only allow access by IP from the address space at work so, it's not open to the entire Internet and I also use VPN. When I VPN in, the app works fine but when not, I get this funky app behavior and none of the cams come up. My wife's phone now exhibiting this too.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Actually doing both. I only allow access by IP from the address space at work so, it's not open to the entire Internet and I also use VPN. When I VPN in, the app works fine but when not, I get this funky app behavior and none of the cams come up. My wife's phone now exhibiting this too.
Change the port and see what happens and report back what you see and observe. As a hell Mary reboot the router / modem / BI.

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
I think I figured it out. It's kind of obscure. Anyway, my domain was (up until Saturday) managed by Google Domains. Google sold that business to Squarespace so, source of my problems seems to be related to DNS re-write rules that were configured and subsequently moved to Squarespace now.

Using the DNS re-write provides a layer of security by obscuring the "real" IP the DNS entry is pointing to, by replacing it with a virtual IP from Google and now, Squarespace's IP block. So, it's basically a virtual pointer to your external IP/port combo where you have whatever service listening - in my case it's Blue Iris. When I bypass those custom domain names and go to either the direct DNS name or the IP, things work.

So, I need to do more homework to figure out how these are done differently since the move over to Squarespace.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I think I figured it out. It's kind of obscure. Anyway, my domain was (up until Saturday) managed by Google Domains. Google sold that business to Squarespace so, source of my problems seems to be related to DNS re-write rules that were configured and subsequently moved to Squarespace now.

Using the DNS re-write provides a layer of security by obscuring the "real" IP the DNS entry is pointing to, by replacing it with a virtual IP from Google and now, Squarespace's IP block. So, it's basically a virtual pointer to your external IP/port combo where you have whatever service listening - in my case it's Blue Iris. When I bypass those custom domain names and go to either the direct DNS name or the IP, things work.

So, I need to do more homework to figure out how these are done differently since the move over to Squarespace.
I got close! :winktongue: