10/100 vs gigabit

Midrar

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm in the middle of installing 4 new dS-2cd2132 cameras. My POE is a 10/100 switch. Am I sacrifice camera quality by not going to a gigabit switch?

Also, I am using a flir NVR for storage and hdmi out to tv. When cameras are not connected directly to an NVR as my situation, is the quality affected?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
no, to both points..

many more cameras and you'll want your NVR to have a GigE connection.. 6-8 is the most you'll want to run on a 10/100 Fast Ethernet NVR, depending on bitrate you'll be over 50% load.

each camera at highest quality providing both streams are going to need ~10Mbit tops for h264, they only have 10/100 ports and will never negotate Gigabit speeds individually.. however all the throughput of the cameras is combined at the NVR, thus you need extra throughput so you can download videos off your NVR, and connect apps without impacting your live recordings.

Last edited by a moderator:

dalepa

Reaction score
I have 10 cams pulling about 40Mbit/s about 4Mbit/s/Cam

4 cams should use less than 16Mbit

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
and I have 1 cam outputting 37Mbit all on its own (4MP MJPEG for LPR), its largely dependent on what your doing and how you have it setup.. always best to overcalculate needs than under.

but for 4 cameras, a 10/100 network is completely adequate.. since you already have it, run it.. it'll be apparent if your choking down the network, if you ever manage to accomplish it.