3D printed PFA137s

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
My 3D printed PFA137s got dropped off yesterday afternoon and I'm very impressed with the quality and presentation.

They don't have holes in the side but that will be corrected with a drill. I use flexible corrugated hose and seal the connection with silicone.

For $10 USD each, these will serve me well until I get the aluminum originals in a couple months.

IMG20240126141228.jpgIMG20240126141233.jpgIMG20240126141244.jpgIMG20240126141253.jpg

Last edited:

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes, since it's PLA there's no gooey aluminum oxide paste build-up inside over time from tiny leaks and high humidity. :headbang:
Forgot to mention that they're ABS. Black ABS so it's not diluted with tint to make it another colour.

Maybe I'll buy the aluminum ones for future use and leave these up to see how they do.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What kind of paint would you recommend? I have black enamel paint which I think would do well after roughing them up with some sandpaper.
As long as it's house paint, I don't think it matters otherwise.
I've also used the Krylon plastic spray paint with good lasting results, if you have it available.

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
As long as it's house paint, I don't think it matters otherwise.
I've also used the Krylon plastic spray paint with good lasting results, if you have it available.
I can get my hands on spray paint but finding stuff specific to plastic may be tricky.

May just hit them with regular spray paint after roughing them up with some 80 grit sandpaper.

The location these boxes will be in gets direct sun in the morning for about 4 hours. So we should be good.

dubber

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Where did you get these? Do they have other mounts as well?

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
Where did you get these? Do they have other mounts as well?
As has already been pointed out, these folks are here in Cuba. Really saved me from doing a direct-to-wall install.

This is the link where I found the STL file. Free to download and then find someone to print it. They have several different designs that have been uploaded.

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
I sanded down the printed PFA137s with 120 grit sandpaper last night and gave them a quick coat of white gloss spray paint. Hit them with another coat this morning and we went to work. We drilled out the access hole in one box without issue. It was a bit time consuming using a regular drill bit but we got it. When we went to do the second box, my buddy tried a spade bit and we ended up splitting the box. Bit disappointed but we should have foreseen this happening. Fortunately, I had a half tube of engine seal maker and we patched it up as best we could. I'll have to have another one printed and swap it out in the future. Always better safe than sorry.

Overall, I'm impressed. I'm sure the ABS will hold up especially with two coats of white gloss spray paint to reflect the sun's rays. I'll have to see if the guy who prints them can modify the STL to put an access hole in. Shouldn't be hard and I have several rubber "stoppers" sitting around from other boxes.

Aluminum would be better but these should hold for the foreseeable future.