4kT Firmware Bug or Blue Iris Bug?

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
WIth the 4kt and BI when the recording swicthes between Sub Stream and Mainstream on a trigger the picture quality is being affected.

This camera is set up with custom BLC enabled on the background because without it is overblown. When on substream the picture looks fine, When the camera is triggered however, the backlit area and other areas affected by that become oversharpened and like a painting with splodges rather than clear definition. When the camera switches back to substream , the issue disappears. I've noticed that same effect when doing anything that causes it to switch to mainstream.

I have a video clip here, recorded from my phone because I don't have a video editing program on my BI PC, so apologies for the quality. You can see the change over around 10 secs.

The video starts of in triggered mode (someone has walked through and triggered the mainstream), and then around 10 seconds it reverts to sub stream. Watch the bakground houses and bushes and you'll see the switch between stream and the dramatic improvement when it switches to sub stream at 10 secs:

Best watched full screen.

Obviously if this is a firmware issue, Dahua need to look at this. If not, I need to speak to the guys at BI. However, it seems more likely to be firmware in my opinion.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I just set mine up to mimic yours and I think what you are seeing is simply the differences between mainstream and substream.

The substream is ran at a lower bitrate so differences are not as noticed. My green bushes look two shades running BLC between main and sub. I tried it with an older camera and it does the same thing.

This camera tends to run a bit sharp, especially when providing higher bitrates to mainstream. Try lowering bitrate and sharpness. These newer sensors let in so much light that you can really see the over sharpness in bricks.

You have to remember how BLC works - it is taking images at different exposures and combining them together and certain objects and fields of view can be problematic.

The background houses are beyond the IDENTIFY of this camera, so who cares if it is a little blownout.

Most here try to not use any backlight and if we do, it is at the bare minimum. If we use it, we use WDR or HLC where we can control the compensation factor. Usually a WDR of 4 can do wonders and not mess up motion. BLC you cannot control so the camera is doing what it wants to try to make a good picture.

With a similar view to yours where I have brick on both ends and houses out in the distance these are my day settings that work good in a backlit condition:

Brightness 36
Contrast 43
Saturation 47
Sharpness 39
Gamma 40

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
The background houses are beyond the IDENTIFY of this camera, so who cares if it is a little blownout.

Most here try to not use any backlight and if we do, it is at the bare minimum. If we use it, we use WDR or HLC where we can control the compensation factor. Usually a WDR of 4 can do wonders and not mess up motion. BLC you cannot control so the camera is doing what it wants to try to make a good picture.

With a similar view to yours where I have brick on both ends and houses out in the distance these are my day settings that work good in a backlit condition:

Brightness 36
Contrast 43
Saturation 47
Sharpness 39
Gamma 40
The reason I'm using BLC is the exposure is messed up on the garage to the right which is also a public footpath and potential threat, so I need to get the exposure under control in order to ensure identification of threats from there. I'll take another look at WDR. I did try it, but it wasn't great. However, I'll try your setting of 4.

The carport has smoked polycarbonate roofing that reduces light and put's it very much in shade on sunny days setting up very high contrast between under (the most important area) and everything outside including the threats from the footpath.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
I just set mine up to mimic yours and I think what you are seeing is simply the differences between mainstream and substream.
Probably another improvement request to Dahua then for web 5.0:

1. Show the mainstream on the adjustment page not the substream

2. Allow the adjustment image window to go fullscreen whilst making adjustments etc - it's very hard to draw tripwires etc in a small window accurately. You then have to apply them,and go full screen and edit them. Why not allow the image window to be expanded to full screen if required and just put a narrow white bar of the control sliders / choices down the right hand side to allow you to make the adjustments? That would make all image adjustments easier. The other parts of the page could be hidden as they're non vital.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I double tap the small field of view in the settings page to make it full screen and mainstream before I hit apply.

JDreaming

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I double tap the small field of view in the settings page to make it full screen and mainstream before I hit apply.
You can't draw once you double tap the small field, but you can still move the tripwires your already draw around though.

Lacking that, you can zoom in the browser. At least in the old interface, haven't tried 5 yet.
Yes, it's still work. That's what I did when drawing the tripwires. :)