4kX settings help

Timokreon

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hello all, 4kx 3.6 camera.

I've just realized that after putting in new light bulbs in my garage exterior lights, I haven't changed my settings at all.
Last night we had a door checker walking right in front of my garage door, but I'm thinking maybe the picture should be better?

Any suggestions? Attached is the door checker, and my camera settings.Cam4a.jpgCam4a.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Not bad really. Is that a 3.6mm or 2.8? They do have tight focus areas

Two things I would change that work together to some degree
1- dial DNR back if possible (even 5 points can help)
2 - sacrifice a little shutter. Meaning drop back to 0-2 or 0-3 which should still freeze most objects and humans but allow more light

Is that a full main stream capture? Its only 2MB.
What bitrate are you running? Recommend 16,384 , CBR

Last edited:

Timokreon

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Running 12,000 CBR. The picture I think is main stream... I'm not even 100% sure. How does one tell? I just went on my laptop, hit photo capture, and it states it's going to be 5MB, but then it saves to 2MB?

So maybe 46 for 2d and 3d DNR?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah worth a shot. And go to at least 0-2 to compensate with a little more light. You have to play with it, you have good ambient light close in

Weird, my jpeg snaps from SmartPSS are 4.5MB

Attachments

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Try taking sharpness down to ~30-35. That can help get rid of some of the "jags" in the detail. Also reducing saturation seems to help mine some with color at night. Seems to get a little more distortion with more colorful areas (see the stop sign and the red collar/shirt/bag for example).

I'd probably tweak that with a few steps more contrast myself.