5231- depth of field issue?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Options to consider

Up to 12 or 16ms - won't get as clean of captures of moving cars, but should get people.

Up the gamma to 50.

Raise NR up to 35

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
You can go as high as 16.66ms for exposure. Yes, there will be some blurring of fast moving objects like cars doing 40-50 and up, but for pedestrian traffic it will work fine. I'd go up in 2ms steps and test because it is ambient light dependent as well.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Is that yard lamp yours and is it on in that picture?

Have you considered adding or turning on outside lights?

cam26

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. Going to see how this goes overnight

14ms
50 gamma
35 nr

And yes that post light is ours and on, along with 2 carriage lights on the front of the house about 30-40 ft away (other two at driveway and not helpful).

Last edited:

MikeLud1

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
One other setting to change is to put the Brightness back to 50, this will improve the contrast and if needed raise the gamma up by 5 or so. to add some more overall brightness to the image.

cam26

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So it was much better and didn’t notice much motion blur. May bump to 15 or 16 ms and see how that goes tonight unless anyone else has suggestions. Obviously darker cars have less contrast so harder to see.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
consider an overview cam in that location (5442 6mm) and then perhaps the 5231 for plate captures, just my thoughts,,,,every situation is unique though...and then theres the spouses,,,,,, and on and on and on

cam26

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
consider an overview cam in that location (5442 6mm) and then perhaps the 5231 for plate captures, just my thoughts,,,,every situation is unique though...and then theres the spouses,,,,,, and on and on and on
That would definitely be ideal. But yes, the spouses... apparently our house is not allowed to look like some sort of "compound."

Greatly appreciate you all's help and time, for sure.

Timokreon

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I had the same problem with the boss lady. She didn't want cameras etc.. until she started seeing/reading about robberies/shootings nearby, not just Chicago southside/westside.
Eventually it started with a doorbell cam. Ohhhhh.. lookie that, I can see somebody coming to the door so I don't have to answer it!

Then it turned into, ohhh.. that's neat I can see what's outside around the house if I hear something. Then a camera for license plate that she really didn't comment on, just kind of looked at me. Then the PTZ, where she thought it was kind of cool to be able to play with if the dogs were out etc..

Now I've gotten to the point where I put them up and she doesn't even notice them anymore. lol...

cam26

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
On the heels of this post, this camera works great for the daytime, still not so valuable at night with the distance and amount of light in terms of identifying subjects/vehicles (I have other cameras that do it better at night).

I’ve thought about using the @bp2008 sunrise/sunset program to zoom out at night automatically to give an overview look, while using it zoomed in during the day for identification of vehicles/people. Varifocal 5231 camera- any issues with this, especially related to the motor? Don’t want to burn it out or anything. Or is it intended for this type of use?

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah but when it burns out, we pay some guy to rattle your windows,,,,and then you can justify the 5442 Z4 Bullet to the little Lady.....

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Dude the 5442 Z4 is really a big difference over the 5231 out in my yard/ street.... view at the moment.....