8 port poe switch

Engee

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi,
i have 8port poe switch 10/100mbit each port,
with 2 uplink ports - 10/100mbit each port
and power supply - 52V, 2.3A

Is this enough to handle 8 cameras 4mpix each?

I am planning setup with BI running on the spare laptop with 1tb disk with file rolling.
Cameras will record continuously.

Thx
Artur

Mr_D

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
That should be fine unless they're all PTZ. If my understanding of electricity is correct, 52v x 2.3A is nearly 120 watts. That's 15 watts per port, not counting the switch's own needs, which are probably about 5w or so.

Xeddog

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What is the power budget for the switch? Most PoE switches I have seen have a power budget that will not power all ports simultaneously. You may have an 8-port PoE switch, but the power budget might only power 4 to maybe 6 of the ports simultaneously.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
What is the power budget for the switch? Most PoE switches I have seen have a power budget that will not power all ports simultaneously. You may have an 8-port PoE switch, but the power budget might only power 4 to maybe 6 of the ports simultaneously.
that is because more cameras dont need the max poe output of the port...generally fixed cameras run at 3-5w...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi,
i have 8port poe switch 10/100mbit each port,
with 2 uplink ports - 10/100mbit each port
and power supply - 52V, 2.3A

Is this enough to handle 8 cameras 4mpix each?

I am planning setup with BI running on the spare laptop with 1tb disk with file rolling.
Cameras will record continuously.

Thx
Artur
what is the model? dont buy some junk no name switch from ali...its the core of your network..confirm that its 802 compliant..

Xeddog

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
that is because more cameras dont need the max poe output of the port...generally fixed cameras run at 3-5w...

That is true, but still there are some cheap PoE switches that cannot power even a low power device like a camera on all ports simultaneously. At one point, you couldn't even have a PoE device connected to all ports because they would only power say 6 out of 8 ports period. That may not be the case any more, but the power budget still exists.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
That is true, but still there are some cheap PoE switches that cannot power even a low power device like a camera on all ports simultaneously. At one point, you couldn't even have a PoE device connected to all ports because they would only power say 6 out of 8 ports period. That may not be the case any more, but the power budget still exists.
There is no name brand switch that does that... maybe some crap from Ali...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I've seen some Netgear POE switches that only supplied POE on some fraction of the total ports.
That is different, the switch is designed and marketed as only supplying power to 4 ports out of the 8...it specifies which ports are poe and which are not.

Xeddog

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
All I meant to say was that you should understand a little bit about the switch you intend to purchase, and the devices you want to connect. For example, I just bought a Netgear GS308P switch. It has a total of 8 ports, but only 4 of them are PoE. Now if I had say 4 devices that required 15W each for a total of 60W, I could only connect three of them. That is because even though the PoE ports will supply 15.4W per port as per the 802.3af standard, the power budget for the switch is only 53W. So if you wanted to connect all four of the devices to one switch, your options would be to purchase a different switch with more PoE ports (because the power budget would MOST LIKELY be higher), or a switch with the same number of ports but conforms to 802.3at standard that supplies 25.5W per port.
There are other things that need to be considered too. For example, if the four devices were PTZ cameras that had a MAX power consumption of 15W, you MIGHT still be able to connect all four to the GS308P even though the MAX requirements exceed the power budget available. That is because the max power consumption for a PTZ occurs when all of the P, T, and Z motors are running simultaneously. So if the cameras are all manually controlled, it is unlikely that you would exceed the power budget but this is still not a good idea. If they are programmed to continuously scan an area and are constantly using max power, your little switch is gonna burn in hell. Actually what SHOULD most likely happen is that one port would turn off the power.

Wayne

Engee

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
ok cool, thank you...

guys, another question - I got access to poe switch which is in my company so I have no control over it,

the cameras ipc4433c-a have static ip? or they take dhcp assigned ips?

if static - what is the net id?

Xeddog

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
ok cool, thank you...

guys, another question - I got access to poe switch which is in my company so I have no control over it,

the cameras ipc4433c-a have static ip? or they take dhcp assigned ips?

if static - what is the net id?
The switch has nothing to do with IP addressing, it will just be a data transporter. Whether the camera has static IP or dynamic is defined in the camera.

Wayne

Engee

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
ive just asked. now i know it looks it is static. 192.168.1.108 for all cameras