Acusense 2.0 and ColorVu 2.0

John Williamson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Here's a quick video from my G2 which I installed yesterday. If anyone knows how I can capture video with the rules showing please let me know.
Is that with just your own external lights on the house and the supplemental LED disabled? There's no glare off your face when you pause and face the camera.

coney27

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Is that with just your own external lights on the house and the supplemental LED disabled? There's no glare off your face when you pause and face the camera.
Yes my own external house flood lights were on and the cameras LEDs were off. Ill be doing more testing with different variations and post a review.

dabflyboy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Now that the G2's are out, I'd like to see how they stack up against the Dahua IPC-B5442T-ASE-NI (on Dahua's website they are listed as IPC-HFW5442T-ASE-NI and IPC-HDBW5442R-ASE-NI)

I'm also curious to see how this 4mp 2347 G2 with a 1/1.8 sensor does in comparison with the 8mp 2087 G2 with its larger 1/1.2 sensor. I understand that the 4mp will most likely outperform the 8mp under low-light conditions, but I'm wondering by just how much since the 8mp has a larger sensor.

Last edited:

coney27

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Now that the G2's are out, I'd like to see how they stack up against the Dahua IPC-B5442T-ASE-NI (on Dahua's website they are listed as IPC-HFW5442T-ASE-NI and IPC-HDBW5442R-ASE-NI)

I'm also curious to see how this 4mp 2347 G2 with a 1/1.8 sensor does in comparison with the 8mp 2087 G2 with its larger 1/1.2 sensor. I understand that the 4mp will most likely outperform the 8mp under low-light conditions, but I'm wondering by just how much since the 8mp has a larger sensor.
By all means send me a Dahua and I'll compare it

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Here's a quick video from my G2 which I installed yesterday. If anyone knows how I can capture video with the rules showing please let me know.

Excellent quality. Interesting to know your shutter speed.

BIG however moment though, it's blowing the faces out on potential subjects making identification impossible. When paused the persons face is just white. We saw this with IR illumination on Dahua recently although on the model affected, a firmware upgrade fixed the problem by intelligently adjusting the IR output level as the subject approaches the camera. I think maybe Hikvision need to tie in some aperture control to the Accusense AI software here so the picture can be darkened as the subject approaches the camera keeping the face from blowing out on detail. Some might say it's not the cameras fault but the mounting of the security light but mounting it in such a way that it still illuminates the subject from the front whilst not becoming more intense as they approach the light is going to be near impossible. A more diffused light may help, but I still think the is is a camera issue rather than a lighting issue as the ability to adjust the lighting is far more constrained than the ability for Hik to implement some intelligent camera adjustment especially as Accusense can identify when a subject is both in the frame and their distance to the camera. I'd hazard a guess, Accusense could be made to measure the brightness of areas of the identified subject as well.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
1/30th which is out of the box settings from Hikvision
That being the case one obvious adjujstment you could make would be to up the shutter speed to eg 1/60 or even 1/120. It will darken the picture overall, but the import part is being able to preserve the facial detail when the subject gets close enough to the camera to be identified. At least that's what I'd try. A greta picture where you can see very last detail of grass int he dark 50 ft from the camera is impressive. However, it's of little use if you can't identify who was present when they get close enough to the camera to be in reasonable pixel denisty range. I'd personally trade far off dark detail for facial recognition.

coney27

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
A greta picture where you can see very last detail of grass int he dark 50 ft from the camera is impressive. However, it's of little use if you can't identify who was present when they get close enough to the camera to be in reasonable pixel denisty range. I'd personally trade far off dark detail for facial recognition
I agree 100%. A camera is only really useful identifying someone. Not as a tool to capture an overall scene.

Ookie

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I agree 100%. A camera is only really useful identifying someone. Not as a tool to capture an overall scene.
Someone here gets it.

I've been dealing with video for years, both in my time as a police detective and via my side business.

It's amazing how many people--both industry professionals and enthusiasts just don't get it. That extends to people here as well.

In general, video is useless if it cannot identify people and vehicles. If you can't resolve faces and license plates, all the system is doing is showing you that something happened. Which you already know because something is gone, damaged, etc.

The one exception to your statement is if you hear a bump in the night and want to quickly assess whether or not it could be a home invasion in progress. For that reason, well designed systems will have a few overwatch views.

But if you have to choose, choose zoomed in views that give up situational awareness in exchange for capturing evidence.

Probably the only thing that displays more incompetence is the use of IR illumination outside of LPR or other special situations. Lighting is higher priority in a security plan than cams. You are always far better off with the possibility of deterring a crime than capturing it.

This is more important than ever in certain areas like NY where in general, nothing happens to criminals, even if they get caught. Between bail reform in NY and the state of CT doing nothing to juveniles, the criminals are more concerned with getting caught in the act (and being victims of violence themselves) than getting arrested later.

coney27

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Someone here gets it.
I've been dealing with video for years, both in my time as a police detective and via my side business.
It probably helps that I am in the same exact boat as you are. It's funny to see how naive and unknowledgeable a civilian can be when it comes to a simple camera setup. It also helps to have and be able to rely on our career experience.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
This is more important than ever in certain areas like NY where in general, nothing happens to criminals, even if they get caught. Between bail reform in NY and the state of CT doing nothing to juveniles, the criminals are more concerned with getting caught in the act (and being victims of violence themselves) than getting arrested later.
The problem in my opinion is simply that many of the ultra wealthy including Politicans aren't really interested in preventing or solving crime because they know they're never going to be the victims of it and they fear unrest amongst the criminal element of the working classes if law enforcement is so good they can't get any money by nefarious means.

Take a politician or top Hollywood style celebrity for example, they often have 24/7 police / security response protection. Many live in ultra exclusive areas far away from areas where criminals live / operate. They can afford large houses with extensive high walled gardens smothered in 24/7 monitored CCTV and with large electronic gates and intercom systems. They'll often have large dogs within the perimter, high security locks and even bullet proof glass, panic rooms and extensive armouries not to mention the aforementioned armed police, armed guards on site 24/7, or armed response from private security. When leaving, some security staff often travel with them providing on the move protection from hijacking / kidnapping.

To them it matters little what happens to ordinary people. The more people suffer crime, the more their ultra wealthy friends are able to supply replacement goods from their large retail chains or insurances from their insurance companies. Ultimately crime only matters to the people further down the financial food chain, ie those in the lower upper, middle, or low finance categories, and it's of more concern to the politicians to balance the amount of it right so as to not get a rebellion of voters from from either the disaffected criminals with nothing or the voter falling in the aforementioned financial categories who has insuifficient wealth to fall within the catgeory of the protected elite but is not a criminal themself. Call me a cynic, but just my take on it. My opinion maybe wrong.

Bulat

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello, I am very new to the topic of video surveillance. Could you please tell me which cameras are better the Acusense G2 or ColorVu G2 with Acusense? If I understand correctly, ColorVu cameras require some source of white light, while the Acusense series can use infrared light. Maybe this is a silly question, but what is the benefit of a color image? I'm also interested cameras with strobe lights and siren, does anyone have any experience with them?

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Hello, I am very new to the topic of video surveillance. Could you please tell me which cameras are better the Acusense G2 or ColorVu G2 with Acusense? If I understand correctly, ColorVu cameras require some source of white light, while the Acusense series can use infrared light. Maybe this is a silly question, but what is the benefit of a color image? I'm also interested cameras with strobe lights and siren, does anyone have any experience with them?
In a typical camera that can see in the dark via IR - everything is black & white. In the Hikvision ColorVu the recorded image is colour.

This makes it easier to offer details (facts) as to clothing, vehicle, colour to the authorities etc. The reverse is not true for IR enabled camera systems. You can’t say a person was wearing a blue hat, blonde hair, green Chevy, pink sneakers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bulat

n3wb
Reaction score
Lighting is higher priority in a security plan than cams. You are always far better off with the possibility of deterring a crime than capturing it.
Could you please clarify whether it is better to have always on lights around the perimeter (I need to think about the neighbours), or it is better to use floodlights with motion detection?

In general, video is useless if it cannot identify people and vehicles. If you can't resolve faces and license plates, all the system is doing is showing you that something happened. Which you already know because something is gone, damaged, etc.
What is the best crime prevention solution in your opinion? I don't want to rely on camera footage to catch burglars, but I want to prevent burglaries. I am considering installing a Hikvision 4K AcuSense Strobe Light and Audible Warning Fixed Turret Network Camera.DS-2CD2386G2-ISU/SL
But I honestly, don't know if they are any good.

Bulat

n3wb
Reaction score
I am very concerned about the cost as I need to install about 6-7 cameras and I don’t know what is the real difference between 4MP and 8MP cameras?
I need to cover 50 feet(15 meters) in some places and 115 feet(35 meters) in others.
Can anyone please explain what is the useful distance for a 4MP and 8MP camera during day and night.

coney27

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I am very concerned about the cost as I need to install about 6-7 cameras and I don’t know what is the real difference between 4MP and 8MP cameras?
I need to cover 50 feet(15 meters) in some places and 115 feet(35 meters) in others.
Can anyone please explain what is the useful distance for a 4MP and 8MP camera during day and night.
8mp is overkill. 8mp will do worse in dark scenes compared to a 4mp. If you look at my overview video of the G2 you can see the 2.8mm camera I tested still detects at 120 feet. Don't assume you can identify at that distance though.