Advice on brand and camera based on performance and price - Hik vs Dahua

aeba2015

n3wb
Reaction score
First time poster long time reader... Lots of great information on this site has helped me narrow down my choices to Dahua and Hikvision... I am looking at turret style only as my wife doens't like the look of the bullet cameras.

I've uploaded a very crude picture of my home. I have 10 ethernet connections on the outside of my house but will settle for 6 cameras as I feel this is enough coverage.

House is located in a established area right in the city and lighting at the front of the house is reasonable with streetlights + potlights at the front of the house.

I am trying to decide between two camera options:

1. Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-Z -
-Pros: best low light from what I can tell, motorized lens so i can adjust to my needs in the different areas around the house.
-Cons: more expensive, 220 Canadian per camera versus 120 Canadian for the Hikvision.

2. Hikvision DS-2CD234WD-I -
Pros: Higher MP (4 vs 2), cheaper
Cons: fixed 2.8mm lens

Given that the Dahua will be about $550 canadian more expensive is it worth the extra cost for the low light performance (Is there really that big of a difference) and the motorized lens? Or given my layout would 2.8mm be fine? (the cameras will be mounted about 10 feet off the ground. I will match the NVR brand with the camera I choose... but from what i can tell from previous threads they are similar and offer iphone apps that work well.

Thanks for the help guys (and if there is an installer in Toronto that is interested in mounting these for me send me a message).

NOTE: The black in the drawing are doors into the house. The red dots are location of the cameras... the viewing angles are not to scale or anything.. just a crude sketch.

Attachments

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
There is some logic behind the price difference of those two cameras. Apples and Bananas comparison.

Perhaps focus on the key areas where you have choke points and low light conditions and get the Dahuas, then match the specs for those HIK's to a fixed lens Dahua for the other locations to reduce cost. Dahua has lower cost fixed lens cameras similar to that HIK

aeba2015

n3wb
Reaction score
bigredfish: Agree that this is an apples to oranges comparison but what I'm wondering is if the price differential is worth it given my circumstances... Will I benefit from the focus given my layout or is a 2.8mm good enough?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Of course I cant say without seeing each location, but out of 28 cameras at 3 different homes, Ive only found two that I didnt care about not having vari-focal lens. I simply won't buy a fixed lens again.

Of course the other YUUGE difference is the low light capabilities of the Starlight vs the 4MP. If you have GREAT white light at each location then perhaps the Starlight isnt as important, IF you can be assured of having that Great White Light at all times when you need it.

Having upgraded my own system 3 times since 2013, I wish I had spent the extra $ the first time ;)

aeba2015

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you. This is precisely what i needed to know. Dahua variofocal it is :)

randytsuch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
FYI, 10 feet may be kind of high.
Taking a picture of the top of someone's head won't help you id them. I know it looks nice to have them high (my neighbors all have them high), but you want to see faces. With the bad guys wearing hoodies and baseball caps to hide from cams, I'd reconsider the placement.

My standard recommendation is to buy one starlight varifocal turret, mount it on a 2x4, and try it out in your proposed locations. Need to try during day and at night, things look different at night. You may find what you thought was a good spot isn't the best one. Once you have all the locations nailed down, then get an installer out to put them in.

Randy

Mark C

n3wb
Reaction score
did you ever find an installer in Toronto? when it comes time to install mine, i'll buy all the hardware myself, just need an installer.