Advice/recommendations on new POE set up

bigoliver

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am new here. I have a little experience with CCTV cameras. I would certainly call myself a noob, but I'm reading a lot and learning as I go.

I intend to run 11 POE cameras at first, possibly increasing this number. I have already ran Cat6a cables, I currently have 4 ethernet cables ran for internal cameras and 7 ran for external cameras.

I looking to invest around £2k to £3K GBP ($2,800 - $4,200 USD). I want h.265 HEVC, 4K. Ill be connecting to a Netgear 24 port network switch with a shared total POE load of 190W. I would probably prefer to record to external HDDs that I intend to connect to my switch and data cabinet.

I hear very positive things about Dahua, but I'm also considering Hikvision and other brands like milesight. I've also heard great thing about Andy "EMPIRETECANDY" and his AliExpress shop.

My first question, is Dahua a good choice for POE cameras? I would like opinions.

I would also like recommendations for the NVR. I want 4k capabilities, h.265 codec, option to have upto at least 20 cameras, and a good all round performance/image quality.

Internal cameras must be quiet, I hate it when they click between Ir in low light.

I hoping to avoid a few mistakes and learn from other people. I really want to get this right.

Many thanks for reading,

Oliver

bigoliver

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Fussy, Fussy!. You can probably find electronic day/night cameras with no IR, but the image will be terrible.
Maybe it's fussy, but my current cameras click if I walk past them. If it clicked then stayed on for atleast 5 mins that wouldn't be so bad. But the ir turns on as I walk past and then off again.

If I could alter the setting to make the pir less sensitive that would be fine. Also the option to turn the ir off, if it's annoying me, would be nice.

Valiant

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Not sure what your current cameras but something doesn't sound right. Most modern cameras have smart IR which limits reflected IR from people being too close, and there is usually a setting to adjust the sensitivity of day night switchover.

bigoliver

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Not sure what your current cameras but something doesn't sound right. Most modern cameras have smart IR which limits reflected IR from people being too close, and there is usually a setting to adjust the sensitivity of day night switchover.
It's a Annke set up. It was very cheap on Amazon and produces great quality video for the price. I don't believe Annke has a setting to adjust the sensitivity, atleast I haven't found it if it does. I'm moving to a new property soon and want a better set up.

I was aiming for 4k images with 5+ MP camera. However reading that 2MP cameras are better in low light is making me think again.

I'm looking at all options at the moment, hopefully I'll get a good setup.

Cheers,
Oliver