Alienware Alpha R1?

BerMM

n3wb
Reaction score
I have an Alienware Alpha R1 and am hoping it will make a good low power NVR/WMC DVR/Plex Server (basically all my 24x7 server needs). My cams are IP4M-1028W, IP2M-841B, another couple 1080p or 720p cams, and a 3-4 old DCS-930Ls. I'll be wanting to do motion capture on the IP4M-1028W. Here is the Alpha's config:

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 (I don't have a Win8 license)
i7-4785T (2.2GHz-3.2GHz, 4 Cores, 8 Threads, 8MB cache, Quick Sync)
8GB RAM
Nvidia GeForce 860M
ST1000LM 1TB Hybrid SSHD
ST3000NM 3TB USB 3.0 HDD

Does it stand a chance? Can I get quick sync working despite the built in GeForce?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have an Alienware Alpha R1 and am hoping it will make a good low power NVR/WMC DVR/Plex Server (basically all my 24x7 server needs). My cams are IP4M-1028W, IP2M-841B, another couple 1080p or 720p cams, and a 3-4 old DCS-930Ls. I'll be wanting to do motion capture on the IP4M-1028W. Here is the Alpha's config:

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 (I don't have a Win8 license)
i7-4785T (2.2GHz-3.2GHz, 4 Cores, 8 Threads, 8MB cache, Quick Sync)
8GB RAM
Nvidia GeForce 860M
ST1000LM 1TB Hybrid SSHD
ST3000NM 3TB USB 3.0 HDD

Does it stand a chance? Can I get quick sync working despite the built in GeForce?
does it have an auto start after power loss option?
laptops are not ideal...you can buy a desktop with w10 with room for proper storage that will outperform your system for 100-150 bux..
dedicate a pc to blue iris...

BerMM

n3wb
Reaction score
does it have an auto start after power loss option?
laptops are not ideal...you can buy a desktop with w10 with room for proper storage that will outperform your system for 100-150 bux..
dedicate a pc to blue iris...
Yes, it can auto restart after power loss (also has WOL) though its UPS is HUGE (Smart750XLA + 2x 85AH scooter batteries). This is what I have and it works well for WMC and Plex, and has plenty of resources left for Blue Iris. It is essentially a compact desktop with laptop components. Space and heat are a premium on this as it resides in my bedroom. How much would a Win8 (Win10 doesn't do Media Center) desktop with similar size and power cost? I know the Alpha has a dreaded T chip, but it certainly shouldn't be a slouch and the cooling keeps up with it. The real question is whether I can get the Quick Sync working. From there it either does what I want or not.

BerMM

n3wb
Reaction score
Damn... Seems that the 860M supports switchable graphics (Optimus) but the Alpha's BIOS (stupidly) completely disables the i7 GPU. I suppose Blue IRIS or a competitor will never support NVENC?

BerMM

n3wb
Reaction score
Until I find a better PC (thanks Dell!) I'm stuck using the functions built in to the HD cams for everything more intensive than viewing. Even without Quick Sync the Alpha should handle whatever I need from the lower res cams and serving live and recorded footage from all my cams.

Aside from Quick Sync, what is most important in a Blue Iris PC? Thread count, single thread speed, overall CPU speed, storage speed, or???

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, it can auto restart after power loss (also has WOL) though its UPS is HUGE (Smart750XLA + 2x 85AH scooter batteries). This is what I have and it works well for WMC and Plex, and has plenty of resources left for Blue Iris. It is essentially a compact desktop with laptop components. Space and heat are a premium on this as it resides in my bedroom. How much would a Win8 (Win10 doesn't do Media Center) desktop with similar size and power cost? I know the Alpha has a dreaded T chip, but it certainly shouldn't be a slouch and the cooling keeps up with it. The real question is whether I can get the Quick Sync working. From there it either does what I want or not.
its not about the resources...many of the issues folks have with blue iris and other vms is directly related to using the pc for other tasks...for 100 bux you can get a dedicated pc...not sure why you are messing with this nonsense on a laptop

BerMM

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm a bit sedentary due to nerve damage in my feet. Mobility scooters aren't cheap and mine are kept in a carport. There are other things I want to keep an eye on too. I use Windows Media Center as a DVR because Xfinity still can't match it. I don't have the space for anything bigger than Mini-ITX, and all the heat generated has to be sucked out by my AC which isn't kind to my fried nerves. So it needs to run on the same small Win 7 or 8 PC as Media Center that produces as little heat as possible. With those priorities the Alpha couldn't be beat if Quick Sync weren't an issue, but it is so I'm willing to replace it with something similar. Best I've found so far is an i7-2710QE (and no, I don't want a laptop).

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm a bit sedentary due to nerve damage in my feet. Mobility scooters aren't cheap and mine are kept in a carport. There are other things I want to keep an eye on too. I use Windows Media Center as a DVR because Xfinity still can't match it. I don't have the space for anything bigger than Mini-ITX, and all the heat generated has to be sucked out by my AC which isn't kind to my fried nerves. So it needs to run on the same small Win 7 or 8 PC as Media Center that produces as little heat as possible. With those priorities the Alpha couldn't be beat if Quick Sync weren't an issue, but it is so I'm willing to replace it with something similar. Best I've found so far is an i7-2710QE (and no, I don't want a laptop).
There is virtually no heat coming from a modern PC ...

BerMM

n3wb
Reaction score
I got an Optiplex XE2 SFF with 4GB RAM and an i7-4770s plus a blu-ray upgrade for $290. Best mix of size, heat, performance, video outputs, and upgradability for my needs. Hopefully I can sell the Alpha for near that.