Am I wiring my connectors properly?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
No need to try to justify yourself , I simply asked what you did ?
you choose not to tell me .
thats fine .

as for terminating : I've allready said it , go back and read .
take your time this time and it might sink in .
You did not say it all. Did you edit a post? Now i gotta look back? See??? Common sense. You lack it. You are dangerous.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
in my house , it doesn't matter if I use the "idiot chart" or use any colour on any pin .
as long as pin 1 matches on both ends etc it's all good as I don't have to use wiring schematics and engineered drawings like I do at work .
FYI, this statement is completely FALSE. You MUST use a 568 standard or there will be crosstalk. There are several threads here where folks made that SAME mistake and their cameras did not work. The pairs SPECIFICALLY twisted to avoid this.
This further solidifies my suspicion that you have no clue.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
in my house , it doesn't matter if I use the "idiot chart" or use any colour on any pin .
as long as pin 1 matches on both ends etc it's all good as I don't have to use wiring schematics and engineered drawings like I do at work .
its not the colors but the pairs.. you'll get cross talk if you just wire em however you want you dipshit

electrician my ass.. from where ITT? Hope you realize by now you got robbed if you paid for this level of ignorance.

can you think of any problems that might be encountered by mixing and matching two different termination standards at the same location? I bet not, thats why your advice should be discarded and your posts called out for the complete and total bullshit that they are.

/mic drop.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I looked back and you have not stated why I cant leave a cable unterminated. Please cite the nec code...Also please explain WHY?
Otherwise you have already proven that you dont even understand the basics of ethernet cabling. I love busting liars.

Ianc2

Banned
Reaction score
You 2 are full of shit .

internet fucking experts .

moderate that , Motherfucker .

am I about to get banned like the other guy you banned this week ?

:edit:
'go fuck yourself .

:double edit:
go fuck each other .

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You 2 are full of shit .

internet fucking experts .

moderate that , Motherfucker .

am I about to get banned like the other guy you banned this week ?

:edit:
'go fuck yourself .

:double edit:
go fuck each other .
If you get banned its because you are acting like an asshole. You were busted not knowing that you cannot simply match pin to pin. This is BASIC ethernet wiring. Test it yourself on a long run. It WONT work. You have no clue. My assumption that you were a journeyman electrician was too generous. I think its cute that you get all foulmouthed when you get busted not knowing basic ethernet wiring protocol and WHY they exist.

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
As I sit here and laugh my balls off at this thread all I can say is this, I was hired to come in and figure out why a network was acting slow, frequent disconnects, corrupted file transfers, computers connecting then dropping. I met with the system admin, they had their in house electrician do all the wiring and even making patch cables. I assumed the cabling was ok because the issues started after they upgraded to a gigahertz switch. They had replaced the switch thinking it was bad
but the issues were still happening. I wiresharked the network for a better view of what was going on. Here is what I saw according to wireshark. One IP printer and 3 of the workstations had the same MAC address??? WHAT???... causing a storm of sorts. Poor network did not know where to look for devices. Come to find out that MR electrician was making cables to his own code depending on how he felt that day. Seems for some reason at 10/100 he was getting away with it but once they went to a gig switch the shit hit the fan. I found 3 patch cables he made had a few bad pairs and the others were made at the bar the night before to his own color codes. That cleared up the majority of it and found a nas with the same static ip address as a workstation. Not sure why the sysadmin did not see that but I can say for sure the bad cables were 95% of the issue. Does wiring to code make a difference? UMM YES. The system admin was a retired lineman from the phone company who did not have a clue other than he was a relative of the boss.

Last edited by a moderator:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
yeah i've encountered the same thing @c hris527, more than once.. it also gets worse when you start injecting power over the lines.

the transition from FastEthernet to GigE really exposed tons of shoddy cabling.. and wiring issues can be a total nightmare to diagnose for the obtuse.

you really have to try hard here to get Mr Thor to swing the ban hammer, the most often reason I've observed it used is simply because someone dont know when to stfu and walk away from the keyboard when apologizing and admitting defeat is obviously not an option.

Last edited by a moderator:

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
yeah i've encountered the same thing @c hris527, more than once.. it also gets worse when you start injecting power over the lines.

the transition from FastEthernet to GigE really exposed tons of shoddy cabling.. and wiring issues can be a total nightmare to diagnose for the obtuse.

you really have to try hard here to get Mr Thor to swing the ban hammer, the most often reason I've observed it used is simply because someone dont know when to stfu and walk away from the keyboard when apologizing and admitting defeat is obviously not an option.
Yea, as a long term IT person, In my younger years I had a ego bigger than my %$c*. I have been in over my head more than once and racked my brains out and prolonged a issue and ended up looking like a ass to the customer and finally had to call in the cavalry to bail me out. In those Days there was not much on the internet you could research but I was very fortunate to have a few very good mentors who took me under their wing. I remember that feeling of telling my customer I was stumped and was bringing in my buddy for help and I felt very ashamed of myself because of my ego. I have no problem doing that now and its usually reversed rolls now, they are calling me in lol..Do I still have a EGO hell yes.. but its less evident in my work as I get older. That is the biggest reason I became a member here is to learn, laugh <-------my wife asked me what was so funny, and share.

Ianc2

Banned
Reaction score
i said I'm not an electrician .
i also said I'm not new .
i also said I used masterlink in my house .
i also said I was drinking cider .
i had an outburst Then went to bed .

i woke up around 10 minutes ago and whilst making coffee I thought I'm either banned or I'm going to make an apology .

instead , I'm going to ask which pin should the pink wire go on ?

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
Hey Ianc, Glad you are still here, Tell me what kind of cider it was? and the pink wire goes next to the pink and white one. LOL

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
i said I'm not an electrician .
i also said I'm not new .
i also said I used masterlink in my house .
i also said I was drinking cider .
i had an outburst Then went to bed .

i woke up around 10 minutes ago and whilst making coffee I thought I'm either banned or I'm going to make an apology .

instead , I'm going to ask which pin should the pink wire go on ?
You must be new. Anyone who thinks you can simply match pins and all would be good is a newbie. You have been busted and outed. Start by learning the basics of network infrastructure.

Ianc2

Banned
Reaction score
Chris .
Strongbow golden apple , and angry orchard .

fenderman , which pin does the pink wire go on ?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Chris .
Strongbow golden apple , and angry orchard .

fenderman , which pin does the pink wire go on ?
Anyone who thinks you can simply match pins and all would be good is a newbie. You have been busted and outed. Start by learning the basics of network infrastructure.​

It would be laughable except that you consider yourself an expert. WOW.

rotorwash

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Crosstalk is real, especially at gigabit speeds. If you are just matching colors pin to pin, the tx and rx communication may not be on the same pairs. You are giving up the entire reason to have twisted pair cable in the first place. If you are using POE, you could also be potentially putting both DC current and data down the same pair. This is really bad. You might get away with it at low bitrates, but sooner or later it will catch up to you. For everyone else out there stumbling onto this thread, you should use one of the two wiring standards for twisted pair ethernet cabling: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TIA/EIA-568.