Amcrest AD410 dies in about 24 hours when connected to doorbell wiring

bdf0506

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm trying to troubleshoot an odd issue that I am seeing with my Amcrest AD410 doorbell. I've had it connected to my doorbell wiring for the past 2 years without issue, and then all of a sudden in the last week it started acting up and would die about every 24 hours. It would show completely disconnected from wifi, and the light would no longer be illuminated at the doorbell itself.

When this happens, if I take off the doorbell but leave it connected to the doorbell wiring, it measures a steady 17.5V at the screw terminals on the doorbell. To fix it, I'll remove a wire, and then put a wire back, and that seems to do the trick most times, but then it will die about 24 hours later. I've found it interesting that it's basically at 24 hours plus/minus 2 hours, so it's pretty consistent as to when the unit craps out.

I was running an old firmware version (1.000.00AC001.0.R.230221), and I tried to upgrade the firmware to 1.000.00AC002.0.R.20230810, but nothing changed. I've also tried a hard reset to see if that changes anything but same results. It's starting to sound like a hardware issue, but I can't seem to track it down. Is there anything else that anyone has experienced with this particular doorbell model that could maybe help?

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm trying to troubleshoot an odd issue that I am seeing with my Amcrest AD410 doorbell. I've had it connected to my doorbell wiring for the past 2 years without issue, and then all of a sudden in the last week it started acting up and would die about every 24 hours. It would show completely disconnected from wifi, and the light would no longer be illuminated at the doorbell itself.

When this happens, if I take off the doorbell but leave it connected to the doorbell wiring, it measures a steady 17.5V at the screw terminals on the doorbell. To fix it, I'll remove a wire, and then put a wire back, and that seems to do the trick most times, but then it will die about 24 hours later. I've found it interesting that it's basically at 24 hours plus/minus 2 hours, so it's pretty consistent as to when the unit craps out.

I was running an old firmware version (1.000.00AC001.0.R.230221), and I tried to upgrade the firmware to 1.000.00AC002.0.R.20230810, but nothing changed. I've also tried a hard reset to see if that changes anything but same results. It's starting to sound like a hardware issue, but I can't seem to track it down. Is there anything else that anyone has experienced with this particular doorbell model that could maybe help?
A few things come to mind. Most Smart Doorbells have internal batteries. How long will they last? Who knows, I ran my LaView DB for 3 1/2 years. Not saying that is your problem but worth checking into.
Next, I know this will not sound right since it has been working for 2 years BUT, I would definitely look into changing out your transformer. Unless you changed it out from the builders transformer when you installed your Doorbell, you have been running on borderline power, low Amps, that is. My LaView would run on my builders transformer 16v 10va, but I knew to change it out to a 16v 30va which was plenty of power, and glad I did, I had no problems and was able to run two streams from it 24/7 too. Here is a video I share that helps explain Amps needed for these Doorbells:

Doorbell 101, a standard Doorbell does not need any power, except for maybe a light on the button, it only uses power to activate the chime when the doorbell is pressed, which is hardly ever. It actually creates a short, if you held the button down for a long time it would eventually burnout the transformer.
A Smart Doorbell requires power 24/7. So, how long can a transformer last or when does it weaken? Hard to say, 2 years? Transformers are fairly cheap and worth upgrading from the cheap builders grade, IMO. They are easy to change out too...

IR i(InfraRed) is the last thing that you need to consider. In our Doorbell 101 Thread, there where Many people who experienced their Doorbell rebooting at night when the IR came on. This was just enough power draw to go over the builder grade amp limit. Their fix was to change the transformer out for a bigger VA (Amperage)

Of course all the above is suggestions, your DB could be on it's way out, but I would consider the above...

HTH

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

ThomasCamFan

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Since the problem has occurred after two years of trouble-free operation, there is a chance the camera is defective.

Or maybe the doorbell button switch is worn out and randomly making contact. If this occurs too often it may cause a WiFi disconnect because the battery would get discharged.

Check out this discussion on how to test the internal LiPO battery.

- Thomas

bdf0506

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the guidance here. I took the cover off the device to find a swollen battery. The case itself wasn’t fully closed so that should have been my first hunt.
I didn’t fully test it to see how long it would last without the internal battery, but since removing the internal battery meant that the chime would no longer work, I figured it was time to cut my losses. I went ahead and replaced it with the Reolink doorbell and so far that app is 100x better than the Amcrest app and the picture is way better too!