Another Texas geek...

xyvyx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi all,

another long-time lurker, first-time poster.

I'm a SQL database admin living in Texas. I'm not a complete noob to the IP cam world, but IPCT has been a huge help in the past month or so. See, I've had a little Panasonic PTZ cam for over 6 years, but when I started to look at replacing it, I read some Amazon reviews, watched some videos, then pulled the trigger on a ReoLink RLC-423.

Yeah yeah, needless to say, I'm already regretting THAT decision. Horribly grainy, worthless picture at night along with some buggy, half-assed firmware. I'll probably end up moving it to back/side of my house.

So first off, Nayr, thank you for the extensive work/research/testing you do for all the members here. It really is appreciated. And second, damn you for leading me down this Dahua rabbit trail! (but Andy thanks you, no doubt!)

I've already got a replacement for the Reolink on order from Andy, but then I decided I wanted something different to put over my front door. So I ordered 2 more cameras... the HDW5231 turret and this guy:

The HDBW8232

Yeah, I know the opinion of domes around here, but this sensor isn't yet available on a turret & the larger bullet just wouldn't work as well over my door. And I probably won't need the on-board IR very much. Kinda bulbous lookin', ain't it?

What's also pretty impressive is that DHL shows this being picked up in HK yesterday around 12:30 HK time. It arrived here today (Friday) before lunch! So cheers to HardworkingAndy!!

Anyway, just wanted to say hello & throw out a brief introduction. I'll probably put together a build thread soon showing this camera in action along with the little BI server I put together.

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Congrats and Welcome. Please do post some video footage once you get it mounted.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome xyvyx

I picked up a mini-dome for the front door and so far have really been happy with the results.

votive

n3wb
Reaction score
Congrats man. Just got mine today with motorized lenses.