Any cheap tricks to run cable in attic through soffts like a 18' tent pole or ?

Jack B Nimble

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Like the title says I was going to but a 18' fibre glass tent pole for $20 bucks as that would probably reach the middle of my attic through the soffit and gables to middle of my attic where the hatch is in the closet, then down to the basement. Just not sure if tent pole woudl be too flexible as I am bouncing off roof ceiling until I reached the attic hatch area. Then I would go up tape cable to end and pull back outside with the tent pole. Any other tricks out there or cheap ideas to run from soffit to middle of house ?

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Like the title says I was going to but a 18' fibre glass tent pole for $20 bucks as that would probably reach the middle of my attic through the soffit and gables to middle of my attic where the hatch is in the closet, then down to the basement. Just not sure if tent pole woudl be too flexible as I am bouncing off roof ceiling until I reached the attic hatch area. Then I would go up tape cable to end and pull back outside with the tent pole. Any other tricks out there or cheap ideas to run from soffit to middle of house ?
http://www.westsidewholesale.com/gardner-bender-ftx-312.html?keyword=Google_Shopping&gclid=CImE1qXcgssCFQEGaQodrpUIIw

https://www.zoro.com/jameson-glow-rod-24-ft-fiberglass-7-36-23t/i/G8799131/?gdffi=047ada998cf641fa93e55ae8579df863&gdfms=0C4023F6837C494382AAA3E3C19CED6C&gclid=CJP77N3cgssCFQsPaQodk0YP8A&gclsrc=aw.ds

Jack B Nimble

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks and your help it is appreciated ! I only wish I could order from U.S you guys have so many options we just get killed when it comes across border in taxes etc. I tried check out with my ZIP and it was $45.00 delivery to me wow once again.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
You think the fibre glass tent pole would work ? still half price you see I have to pay.
A tent poles sections slide into one another, they are designed to go together and come apart easy. If your pole gets hung up in the soffit or attic and you pull back to unstick it the links will separate then you will be screwed as the string/rope holding them together will not let you pull it back out. These push rods are flexible but screw together so you can forcefully push and pull.

Jack B Nimble

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
True, I didn't think of the force pulling it back would probably pull apart. Well see when installer comes for doing a quote tomorrow hope he's fair. I have 9 drops and one in a basement ceiling finished. I hope he can do if for couple hundred cash as they are all fairly easy to get at just alot of blown insulation up there so a dirty job unless that pole reaches as it should, thanks again.

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Why mot use a stick of 1/2" pvc for 3.00 from lowes or homedepot. I've used this method before when running cat cable from the soffit to middle of attic when the home has vaulted ceilings. I just take down a soffit vent nearest where the cam is going and run from there.

Jack B Nimble

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Why mot use a stick of 1/2" pvc for 3.00 from lowes or homedepot. I've used this method before when running cat cable from the soffit to middle of attic when the home has vaulted ceilings. I just take down a soffit vent nearest where the cam is going and run from there.
Pretty good idea I think that pipe in 10 footers. I was also looking at some truck antennas that were 8 foot and real stiff but ideal would be about 12 to 18. Thanks for the imput

Martyj

n3wb
Reaction score
We use yellow tongue down here in Australia.

Not sure if you guys have it over there. Its a long thing plastic 'tongue' which is found on flooring sheets (inbetween joins). There is always some of it in the bins at buildings sites or you can buy direct from Bunnings for a few dollars.

IMAG0120.jpg

Zorac

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
running into a similar jam, i have taped a few of those bamboo poles for potting plants with hockey tape together and it worked fine. needed 3 or 4 of them. once running through a ceiling i used a 12' piece of molding, although that wouldn't work for an eve. didn't know they had special fishing tools for this! may have to invest in one!

Jack B Nimble

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Maybe this can help !!!
http://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/rtvlpgc[/QUOTE] Yes we have that and good for some pulling, what I was doing is standing say outside and pushing a rod up through hole drilled in soffit and need something stiff and fairly long. That suggestion of the 1/2 pvd conduit worked very well yesterday when I had to get in a finished basement ceiling and reason it was real good is that you can push the wire in the middle of it even with a connector end already on. It was just flexible and stiff enough. I will be buying another 10' piece and glueing the two togeather for the soffit to attic access hatch. Since I am in a bungalow I may be even able to aim it where I think the hatch is by myself and push wire up it. That would save a day of being yeld at if I ask my wife to help.lol.

SSNapier

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am trying to find the name of it, but my brother used to install cable TV for folks before he came to work with me. He used this stuff called "split pipe" that was meant to protect vertical runs on the outside of a house from things like weed eaters and other lawn tools. If you twisted these split pipes together it made a GREAT fish for attics and other very long straight runs. It is more stuff than a standard set of fish sticks and can be easily taken apart at the far end so it stays manageable. At present I cannot find it again, but I am waiting on him to reply and then I will post the answer here.