Any experience with Asus AC5300 routers?

czrabode

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi. I am thinking about getting an Asus AC5300 router (either RT or GT) but I have read bad reviews on Amazon that these routers are finicky. I would like to ask what your experience has been on these. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi. I am thinking about getting an Asus AC5300 router (either RT or GT) but I have read bad reviews on Amazon that these routers are finicky. I would like to ask what your experience has been on these. Thanks!

waste of money...look at RT-AC86U | Networking | ASUS USA
of you are going to pay more than that consider a business class router or something like untangle

czrabode

n3wb
Reaction score
waste of money...look at RT-AC86U | Networking | ASUS USA
of you are going to pay more than that consider a business class router or something like untangle
@fenderman, you are awesome!

Your suggestion about Untangle intrigued me so I looked into it. It may solve my 2 problems: (1) I already have a good wired Google WiFi system but it doesn’t have VPN capability and (2) I am not technically inclined and I don’t want to mess around with OpenVPN.

Please look at my planned setup for now:

Do you think Untangle will solve my 2 problems? Can I install it on my Blue Iris Server and use it as my VPN?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@fenderman, you are awesome!

Your suggestion about Untangle intrigued me so I looked into it. It may solve my 2 problems: (1) I already have a good wired Google WiFi system but it doesn’t have VPN capability and (2) I am not technically inclined and I don’t want to mess around with OpenVPN.

Please look at my planned setup for now:

Do you think Untangle will solve my 2 problems? Can I install it on my Blue Iris Server and use it as my VPN?

Untangle will require a dedicated PC as well as more technical set up then a router. It will offer additional capabilities over an ASUS router such as vlan and other Advanced features... The simplest way to Implement VPN is to use the openvpn built into the ASUS router.