Anyone has success running Frigate in Home Assistant?

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Anyone has success running Frigate in Home Assistant?

shaywood

n3wb
Reaction score
I can install Frigate via HA addon or as a Proxmox VM. I'd like to give the HA route a try. Will Frigate add a lot to resource load, disk space (other than video storage), or logs? Also, I run HA in a VirtualBox VM. Can I save the video outside the vm on Windows and use hardware acceleration?

cosgrale

n3wb
Reaction score
The only Frigate processes that have any appreciable CPU usage in my Debian 12 server are ffmpeg and object detection. The object detection process is set up to use the server's Intel N200 GPU via Openvino and there's an ffmpeg process for each camera. These processes should be present whether you install Frigate using HA or a Docker stand alone container. Frigate installed using HA is also installed in a Docker container and can be managed with the same commands, although that may cause some problems with the HA add-on interface. Object detection usually takes about 8% CPU but if you're planning on using Coral I think that should be off loaded from the CPU.

Storage requirements for the program itself are minimal from what I can find. The Frigate directory in the HA custom components directory uses less than 500 KB (yes KB) of space and the other directories I can find use even less. There may be Frigate files scattered in places I didn't look.

I use the HA Frigate add-on interface all the time for configuration editing, application monitoring and control, and viewing cameras.

Last edited: