Anyone here uses Linux and can recommend me a good distro?

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Ended up getting rid of Ubuntu 19.10, installed elementary OS (Based on 18.04 Ubuntu LTS) instead. Going for the looks and stability. Very polished OS. Just hope there is a convenient package installer

area651

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Installed Ubuntu Linux along side Windows 10 on my work laptop. What I don't like is the GRUB bootloader. I prefer the Windows Boot Loader. However, the problem is that I'm using the GUID partition table with UEFI enabled. Any suggestions what I should do? Thanks in advance :)
Yep. Don't dual boot. If you want/need to learn Linux, go balls deep. Immersion is the way to go. Forces you to learn. The only thing that I encountered w my needs to stick with Windows was BI. And since that's on it's own, dedicated machine...

concord

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
That OS has an "appCenter" program. Looking at the list online, it doesn't show Spotify, but you can still try to install, as mentioned earlier.

As far as dual-boot, I haven't done that since EFI days. I've seen several issues of dual-boots getting corrupted at work and not being able to get to work again...he had to re-install everything. At least he only lost a day long simulation run. He finally bought separate high-end workstations.

Here is some help in being able to add other software to eOS

Last edited:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Yep. Don't dual boot. If you want/need to learn Linux, go balls deep. Immersion is the way to go. Forces you to learn. The only thing that I encountered w my needs to stick with Windows was BI. And since that's on it's own, dedicated machine...
I've seen no problems with dual boot via Grub - Linux Mint and Win7.
But I rarely boot native Windows - when I need Windows (eg for NVRs and older IP cameras and some Windows-specific apps) I boot Win7 as a VM under Oracle VirtualBox. Win10 works well too.
VirtualBox works very well, perfectly stable, I've seen no problems.

I do like the Cinnamon user interface.
And under Mint you can choose a GUI or command-line for the vast range of available apps.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Ok, so this comment is purely related to aesthetics, but GRUB has to be the ugliest boot loader I've ever come across :lol:
Now, I can definitely play around with customizing the appearance, but too bad there is no GUI for customizing it

area651

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Ok, so this comment is purely related to aesthetics, but GRUB has to be the ugliest boot loader I've ever come across :lol:
Now, I can definitely play around with customizing the appearance, but too bad there is no GUI for customizing it
The one before grub was lilo and was much easier to configure. As for GUIs to customize things anywhere in linux, they're' few and far between. At my former employer I mentioned, it was often laughed about how linux will never become an OS for "the common person". Unfortunately, there are no companies that are trying to organize it and make is user point and click friendly. It's being haphazzardly organized by the community which is often basement dwelling introverts who have no idea what others are using. Besides, everyone else is just stupid. (that's sarcasm but a common attitude) Even at RH, none of the employees used their Workstation release for their work machines. Those few that used linux at all, use Fedora and if not linux, they used a Mac. Which would always be pointed out when a group of you go to a customer site and your entire team opens their macbooks at the conference table. It really sends out the impression that even you do not believe in your own product.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm on my third distro in three days and about to run the live boot for Fedora KDE, Kubuntu, Manjaro KDE, OpenSUSE, and KDE Neon. After all these years, I still get emails from KDE's development team. I just hope that I eventually stick to one distribution :D

area651

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm on my third distro in three days and about to run the live boot for Fedora KDE, Kubuntu, Manjaro KDE, OpenSUSE, and KDE Neon. After all these years, I still get emails from KDE's development team. I just hope that I eventually stick to one distribution :D
Lord knows just don't sign up for "Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter" from bashing-om@ubuntu.com. I've been on there for years and still haven't found a way to unsubscribe (that works).

OICU2

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Slackware :)

err... wait, I used that back in 1998. Is it even still around?

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Anyone knows why Linux doesn't have a pinch-to-zoom feature?

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Windows 8 was a Hot Mess

6. The Windows 8 layout.

Last edited:

concord

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Anyone knows why Linux doesn't have a pinch-to-zoom feature?

Not sure if it's installed or not, but try holding down your CTRL key and then pinch/zoom using your touchpad...

If it doesn't, you can install software to do it, check this video. After installation, around 3:37, he tells you to set pinch/zoom...

If you are interested in a Windows like layout (Classic, XP, Win7 or Win10), check out Makulu Linux: