Arjun, where are ya?

garycrist

Known around here
Reaction score
More that a mouthful is waste? I had a friend say that on his under breath just
loud enough for her to hear in a bar. I was sitting in the middle. She turned to me and
said loud enough for him to hear, "tell him, if you were man enough you would know what
to do with the rest"! Boy did he shrink and announce it was time to leave. I gave her a wink
as we left.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So why is the Shrimp (no head) more expensive than the Shrimp (with head)? Seems to me that they have their pricing model wrong?
Yeah, it's not like back in the day when unleaded gas cost more than leaded....the gas with no lead added cost more because it was required of cars with catalytic converters so you HAD to use it, making it mandatory....hence, the higher price for something that had less done to it.

Ah, good ol' capitalism! :lol:

JDreaming

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Depends how you define "head" ;)

In a normal sense, it takes more time to remove the head, so it would cost more.
In a normal sense, you also get more Shrimp meat with headless shrimp if it was sold by weight. You have to throw away the shrimp head which you don't eat therefore it should cost less.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah, it's not like back in the day when unleaded gas cost more than leaded....the gas with no lead added cost more because it was required of cars with catalytic converters so you HAD to use it, making it mandatory....hence, the higher price for something that had less done to it.

Ah, good ol' capitalism! :lol:
Or when they started selling the pre-mixed antifreeze... at the same cost as the regular stuff. And people buy it!

Whoever came up with that one definitely deserved a raise.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
lol : ) I mean 50/50 is kind of an easy one. Not like mixing 2-cycle oil that I'll admit actually took some head scratching for me sometimes.
For years I bought the 3.2 oz. oil for my 40:1 chainsaw and 2.6 oz. for my 50:1 blower and string trimmer.
I marked 40:1 on the 1 gal. plastic can for the 40:1 and marked 50:1 on the other can.....easy peasy.

Simple math: 1 gal = 128 oz., 40:1 = 128 oz/3.2 oz and 50:1 = 128 oz/ 2.6 oz.
In a pinch I've used 40:1 in the 50:1 tools, just a tad smokey and harder starting due to less gas/more oil ratio and will likely foul the spark plug but no long term damage. However, using 50:1 in a tool designed for 40:1 for a extended period of time will likely damage it due to under-lubrication.

However, the last year or so I've been seeing these little bottles of 6.4 oz. stating it's for 40 or 50:1 mix, which is true BUT....how many of our current high school grads will get the math, and the mix, right? :wtf::idk:

50and40to1.jpg 50and40to1_2.jpg

Here's a short sample of the Q & A about the mix and folks aren't doing well. The easiest of course, would be to pour the entire 6.4 oz. into a 3 or 5 gal. can and add 2.5 gal of gas for 50:1 or 2 gal of gas for 40:1. As a homeowner I only want/need a gallon of mix sitting around but I can see where someone cutting/trimming for a living can use 2, 2.5 or more gals of the proper mix with them.

QandA-on-oil.jpg

Last edited: