B5442E-ZE video jumping back and forth.

Reaction score
because it is the 25 zoom Dahua that reboots at least 5 times a day
That’s been discussed today in other threads and several have mentioned not having enough power from the PoE ports on the switch or possibly a bad connection.

I was looking at the 12z settings. Is this important?
That’s above my head but I think it has to do with encrypting the feed from the camera and nothing to worry about

Sure seems like I should be able to tell it to look somewhere other than the SD card
You would think but as far as I know when you’re in the camera page the only place it can look is the SD card. Maybe if it’s saving somewhere else but again that’s beyond what I know about these things. I’ve been using these types of cameras since 2016 and still learn something new everyday it seems like

Reaction score
I'm real bummed about this. I dread taking it down and putting it back up. It was really hard to get it lined up with the barrel being 80' away. I have the cam mounted to a 2x8 and it has to be at the right angle side to side since the cam can only be adjusted up and down.
They’re not fun to get aimed properly when zoomed in but it should be able to adjust in all directions. The set screw has to be backed out fairly far, but not so far it falls out, that’s beyond not fun

Terri Underhill

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
They’re not fun to get aimed properly when zoomed in but it should be able to adjust in all directions. The set screw has to be backed out fairly far, but not so far it falls out, that’s beyond not fun
What did you tell me you used on your phone?It would be easier if I had the cams on my phone so I didn't have to climb down the ladder to go look at my monitor. I can't get my nest cam or my 12z on my phone for some reason. Thank you so very much for your time with all of this!!

Reaction score
DMSS on an iPhone.
If you use an Android I would assume it’s very similar
This will work for a Dahua NVR, I can’t say for sure it will work with your Amcrest but I think it should since yours seems to be a Dahua manufactured

Terri Underhill

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
DMSS on an iPhone.
If you use an Android I would assume it’s very similar
This will work for a Dahua NVR, I can’t say for sure it will work with your Amcrest but I think it should since yours seems to be a Dahua manufactured
I already have gDMSS Plus on my phone but I haven't used it on the phone I bought a while back. Is it the same thing? I'll see if I can figure out how to add my cams. Thank you for all your trouble. I don't think I'm going to bother with adding the SD card this season. Hopefully I can remember before next breeding season to add it. Ideally I think I'd like to have my 12x over the barrel. But I don't know enough about the picture quality at night to know if it would be a good fit. I would really like to have a wider view of the nest and branch that Carol flies into and walks down. The 5442 nest cam zoom is non functional with how close I have it mounted to the nest. I might just need to remount it a bit higher with the cam zoomed in all the way so I can just zoom out when I want to see more. Take care!

Reaction score
I believe they’ve switched to just DMSS as that app has not been updated since 2018. If your 5442 is zoomed out all the way then the Z12 will be way too much zoom to be that close

Terri Underhill

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I believe they’ve switched to just DMSS as that app has not been updated since 2018. If your 5442 is zoomed out all the way then the Z12 will be way too much zoom to be that close
I thought if I mounted it while it was zoomed in showing the amount of image I show now, that once I zoomed out it would show more of the image just outside of what it is showing now. The trick is I still have to be able to see all of the bottom of the barrel when zoomed out. I don't have a clue as to how much higher I need to mount the cam for it to work. I really don't like climbing off the ladder and into the tree while holding the cam mounted to a 2x4. I'm getting too old to be doing this kinda stuff.
I guess I will uninstall the DMSS on my phone. I figured out how to get my 12z cam on my phone. I had one setting not right...and as I well know, that is all it takes to make me SOL. Thank you, thank you!

Attachments

Reaction score
DMSS is the new version, gDMSS is the old version for Android.
Keep in mind these cameras are not really designed to zoom in and out like a ptz camera, more of finding the right zoom for the situation and leave it. The zoomed out picture looks pretty good for now though

guykuo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I like the composition with it zoomed out. Gets some of the approach area and shows good detail in the barrel.
If anything, I would drop brightness about two clicks and increase saturation in your image settings to look more like this....

12z showing zoomed in.jpg

Terri Underhill

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
about two clicks and increase saturation in your image settings to
[/QUOTE]
I will try your settings suggestions and see what it looks like. thank you.
When Carol flies in to that branch on the left hand side she's about a foot higher than what the camera can see. I just think it would be nice to be able to see her fly in and land. Plus if the camera could see that much higher in the background it could also see the branch that Jack roosts on in the background. In November when I moved the Barrel closer to the camera I had to adjust the camera angle and it messed up the background view of seeing Jack fly in. I just like being able to see him in the background when Carol is in the nest. Thank you again for the setting suggestions.

Terri Underhill

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I like the composition with it zoomed out. Gets some of the approach area and shows good detail in the barrel.
If anything, I would drop brightness about two clicks and increase saturation in your image settings to look more like this....

I can't seem to get mine to look as good as yours. I was afraid to add too much saturation. I was afraid there'd be too much noise at night.I made the changes in the NVR. I went to the cams Ui in IE and upped the sat. a bit more and changed it to vivid. I'll see how it looks at night. Thank you.I thought I'd try to add a few of my owl videos to TikTok. The owlets Quinn & Owlisha from last year playing tug of war is the best. Take a gander if you have nothing better to do ;)

Attachments

Last edited:

Terri Underhill

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

What do you generally use to plug the hole where the wire come out? Caulk will just fall out.
1708557317648.jpeg

Terri Underhill

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I created a short video today using the NVR but I need to convert the DAV file to an MP4. I didn't put an SD card in my 12z cam so I can't use the cams UI to make one in a MP4. I don't want to disturb my owls trying to take the cam down to add the card. So I am using the VLC player to convert my DAV file to an MP4. . I followed the directions but when I get to the end and select to "SAVE" a window pops up and says it already exists. I have tried changing the name and it still doesn't work. I have the original file on my C drive and the renamed one on my H drive in a folder I just created named DAV to MP4. The folder now has 4 DAV files of video I renamed and aren't converted to MP4. I don't understand what I am doing wrong. Do you see anything obvious that I am missing in the screen capture? Or can you suggest another program I can convert the DAV files to MP4 that isn't complicated? Thanks in advance for your time.

Attachments

guykuo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
When you are the Browse for destination step, type in a new file name for destination file rather than accepting the name of an existing file.
Typically, when saving out a file under windows (or any other OS), you use the browse function to navigate to a directory. Then enter a new file name. If you click on an existing file, you are telling the system that you want to replace that overwrite that file. That isn't what you want to do, you want to create a new file. Hence, typing in a new file name that doesn't already exist.

Terri Underhill

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
When you are the Browse for destination step, type in a new file name for destination file rather than accepting the name of an existing file.
Typically, when saving out a file under windows (or any other OS), you use the browse function to navigate to a directory. Then enter a new file name. If you click on an existing file, you are telling the system that you want to replace that overwrite that file. That isn't what you want to do, you want to create a new file. Hence, typing in a new file name that doesn't already exist.
I understand what you are saying. I have to do that in Photoshop. Yes I thought I explained that I selected the original and renamed it before selecting the new location. But even if I did it wrong it should have added an mp4 file to the new location and not a DAV.. Seems kinda odd the file sizes are all different for the exact same file.

Terri Underhill

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
This shows that I changed the name again. Even if I hadn't, it should still let me overwrite it and save. I can't select 'overwrite' or 'keep existing' and get out of it with a saved mp4 in the folder called DAV to MP4.

Attachments

Terri Underhill

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It won't let me type on the box. I have to browse to folder location. It is adding more DAV files that are suppose to be Mp4. Just now in PS I named the file dav to mp4 location. I already had a file named that and I told it to just replace it. That is what VCL should do. Replace it and save as a MP3. Instead it keeps wanting something else that isn't there. When I click to keep existing, the pop up blinks off and when it comes back my pointer is on overwrite. If I click on overwrite again it disappears for about three seconds and comes back. I have to click on the top right X to get out of the program before it comes back or I have to click on overwrite again. It goes in a circle. I can't click on the X that is on the pop up either. Well I can click on it but nothing happens.

Attachments