Back door upgrade

Dendrobe

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Everyone
Several months back I asked for help regarding a camera that I had bought on ebay from what turned out to be an unauthorised dealer. That purchase was back in 2016.

Fortunately for me there was that "back door" access and Alistair helped me to access the device and change the password.

Now I haven't updated the camera software in fear that in the future I may need to access the the camera again, if for some stupid reason I mess up with the password.

It doesn't seem wise to have the camera with the "dodgy" software but if I upgrade how would I gain access without the "back door".

Anyone?

trempa92

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
By sending exported XML to hikvision support. Since authorized distributers can only reset serial numbers sold by them. Or they can pass xml to hik and get response faster.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Everyone
Several months back I asked for help regarding a camera that I had bought on ebay from what turned out to be an unauthorised dealer. That purchase was back in 2016.

Fortunately for me there was that "back door" access and Alistair helped me to access the device and change the password.

Now I haven't updated the camera software in fear that in the future I may need to access the the camera again, if for some stupid reason I mess up with the password.

It doesn't seem wise to have the camera with the "dodgy" software but if I upgrade how would I gain access without the "back door".

Anyone?
If the camera works, I suggest you leave it alone and don't try to "upgrade" any firmware....or else make sure you have the funds to buy another one if it gets bricked.
You will appreciate the improvements made in cameras since 2016 when that camera was new.

Dendrobe

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Guys

TonyR, This is why I have left it.
I believe in the adage "If it aint broke don't fix it", but wondered about leaving the possibility of others using "the back door"
Notice you are a Vietnam Vet. Thank you for your service.

Trempa92. That is fine, but I bought from a Hikvision seller on ebay who wasn't an authorised dealer.
All attempts to Hikvision and its dealers told me to jump.
That's the Chinese attitude. We manufacture but do not support.
And it's not as if these cameras are cheap. Support has to be included in there somewhere at this price.

Thanks again

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Guys

TonyR, This is why I have left it.
I believe in the adage "If it aint broke don't fix it", but wondered about leaving the possibility of others using "the back door"
Notice you are a Vietnam Vet. Thank you for your service.
And I will never forget the kindness and generosity shown to me by your people in Sydney during my R&R from Vietnam in 1972. :headbang::cool:

trempa92

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Trempa92. That is fine, but I bought from a Hikvision seller on ebay who wasn't an authorised dealer.
All attempts to Hikvision and its dealers told me to jump.
That's the Chinese attitude. We manufacture but do not support.
And it's not as if these cameras are cheap. Support has to be included in there somewhere at this price.
They do support to those who buy from them, they are not targeting end user. How i see it, any problem you have regarding installation, configuration or anything else in that range, you will find answers anywhere on internet. But password is not within that range. It is security measure. If resetting would be that easy, we would have 2017,2021 all over again.

It may very well be chinese attitude as you say it. But that's how it is, as big as they are, if they would start supporting end users, we as distributers would lose fast support. Plus i have seen so many reports from end users that Hikvision support did actually help them with reset, hence going around their protocols.

Last edited: