Best IP Camera to capture basketball/volleyball court action???

Reaction score
Looking for BEST camera to capture SPORTS HIGHLIGHTS. I need to do an install at a community center gym indoor court (basketball and volleyball) with an array of wired IP cameras (including audio, either built-in to camera or separate). These cameras will stream to a remote server over typical broadband. I'm especially interested in sufficient detail and frame rate to capture and zoom in on individual player highlights. No need for PTZ. Thanks for any and all help.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Looking for BEST camera to capture SPORTS HIGHLIGHTS. I need to do an install at a community center gym indoor court (basketball and volleyball) with an array of wired IP cameras (including audio, either built-in to camera or separate). These cameras will stream to a remote server over typical broadband. I'm especially interested in sufficient detail and frame rate to capture and zoom in on individual player highlights. No need for PTZ. Thanks for any and all help.
Welcome to the forum. What is your budget? How many cams?
Are you going to be streaming live?

Reaction score
I have a $5k budget for just the cameras (and mounting, cable, etc). 4-8 cameras. Really looking for state-of-the-art…if that is more costly, I may be able to find more money, though I had expected that this was a very healthy camera budget.

Probably uploading/buffering to remote server, not live streaming.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a $5k budget for just the cameras (and mounting, cable, etc). 4-8 cameras. Really looking for state-of-the-art…if that is more costly, I may be able to find more money, though I had expected that this was a very healthy camera budget.

Probably uploading/buffering to remote server, not live streaming.
You will get much better results with actual video cameras...is there a specific reason you are trying to do this with ip cameras?

Reaction score
My impression is that video cameras will be pushing far too much data over the broadband. Is it even feasible for IP cameras to capture the types of highlights I am looking for. Are there video cameras that, for example, can plug in directly for broadband upload to remote server? Footage will only be viewed on computer screens, so super hi-res is not needed.

Reaction score
Also, I was under the impression that my overall hardware costs would be reduced. I thought IP cameras were cheaper and did not require video capture and encoder devices.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Also, I was under the impression that my overall hardware costs would be reduced. I thought IP cameras were cheaper and did not require video capture and encoder devices.
So you are not going to be at the location?

Reaction score
Typically I will not be at the location though I'll always have access to it. I want to capture basketball/volleyball practise sessions and edit. I NEED high FPS so that images look continuous, not herky-jerky as with low FPS. I WANT high level of detail, if possible, so I can zoom in on individual players to track players eye movements and observe subtle techniques such the follow-through when shooting a basketball.