Best NVR solution

Reaction score
First post, but plan to stick around and learn. A future business venture may lead me to needing more help in the future.

Let me start off with the current state, the company I work for asked me to find affordable PTZ IP cams, to only be used by sup visors/managers of that intended area; no CMS or NVR was desired. After searching Amazon I came to the Dahua SD22204T-GN which works great and does everything we need at a great price. Each cam(4) has a 200GB mSD that it records on motion only. Everything works as intended, however management is requesting a CMS to view all cameras in one place.

Before I get to what I have tried, let me give some insight to my current notion of NVR's. At my previous job, they had a custom built computer with an i5/ssd for windows/ and 4TB drives for recording. That machine was using Genius Vision, using the free version it only had 4 intelligent video for motion detection. So they set it up to record 24/7. What I understand is when using certain NVR software and cameras the NVR takes the raw data from the cam and the CPU is then required to detect motion and any other aspects of the camera. Rather than the camera dong the legwork and the NV just being the middleman to display and house the data. Causing high CPU usage and requiring hefty CPU's the more MP and number of cameras.

What you really want is for the camera to do the legwork? Does this come down to the camera an NVR compatibility?

Onto what I am using now. I have downloaded the Smart PSS software from Dahua, it picked up all the cameras without issue, individual camera settings can all be configured in one place, playback works flawlessly. From what I can tell, the cameras are doing their own motion detection and managing their own recording; is hi correct? My laptop with NVR software and Smart PSS are acting solely as a CMS at this point. An easy to manage and view all cameras from one place.

So this brings on last set of questions. The company has pans to now add more cameras, so a dedicated machine will be required, a server of sorts with hot-swap bays for the video storage to dump onto for extended length as well as redundancy to the 200GB mSD's. If the Smart PSS is adequate, and is allowing the cameras to do the legwork then a super powerful CPU wouldn't be required, if no then we would need something more powerful to ensure no issues as cameras are added. Having a new system though, would a better NVR software like Milestone Xprotect be referred, is it capable of allowing the cameras to do the work? Or would it require a nicer system for it to directly mange and detect al the camera feeds for motion?

Thanks in advance for your input.