Blue iris evaluation version

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
I am beyond elated that folks are not reading the posts where Perspective Software stated they are going to effect changes that will prevent future occurrences.:idk:

Edit: better put this in... </sarcasm>

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I think you might misunderstand the problem. It has been reported that the problem occurred when BI instances were unsuccessful in phoning home and re-confirming activation after BI server crashed. This put the product into eval mode.

If this is in fact the problem then having your license key handy is not a resolution as if BI ever goes offline for an extended time, goes out of biz at some point, etc., potentially the software will become worthless.

This is the reality of all this pay as you go, "temporary license" garbage that has taken over the software industry.
This is not pay as you go. There is no requirement to keep paying. It's disingenuous to claim it's pay as you go because it requires license validation. Don't like it. Try something else. There are 100 alternatives.

skywaytp

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm also impacted by this with "Blue Iris Evaluation Version" across all cameras.
Not able to re-enter the license key (which is still good until JAN2023) either since I'm away for a few weeks due to my military duties.

jmpage2

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I was not impacted by this issue. From what I can gather is those that were, are checking for updates daily. I am set to not check for updates until I decide to do so manually.

View attachment 167497
No, I don’t update daily. I updated to the latest stable release when I updated the maintenance license on the installation several weeks possibly even a couple of months back.

joegr

n3wb
Reaction score
I don't auto update. Mine switched to eval on the 8th. I have the following in the log:
2023/7/8 12:05:50 PM App [Maintenance and Support Plan expired; see Settings]
2023/7/8 12:05:50 PM App Your License is not authorized to use this version

This has repeated each day since, including today. I was hoping that once the site was back up, it would correct automatically. I guess I have to go to my server and re-enter the license and support keys and set it back to run as a service.

jmpage2

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I don't auto update. Mine switched to eval on the 8th. I have the following in the log:
2023/7/8 12:05:50 PM App [Maintenance and Support Plan expired; see Settings]
2023/7/8 12:05:50 PM App Your License is not authorized to use this version

This has repeated each day since, including today. I was hoping that once the site was back up, it would correct automatically. I guess I have to go to my server and re-enter the license and support keys and set it back to run as a service.
I think that indicates that the product is checking that the license is valid and getting a bad response from the server or not getting a response. If the server on the BI end has been restored it is odd that this is happening.

Potentially you can solve it with what was previously advertised where you would de-activate the product, then re-activate it potentially with an "off line" activation which is a feature that is usually designed so that people can do installs on systems that are walled off from the Internet.

After what has happened it would be good to know what the timers are for the activation checks, etc., but I'm not sure that information will be shared with the community.

joegr

n3wb
Reaction score
I think that indicates that the product is checking that the license is valid and getting a bad response from the server or not getting a response. If the server on the BI end has been restored it is odd that this is happening.

Potentially you can solve it with what was previously advertised where you would de-activate the product, then re-activate it potentially with an "off line" activation which is a feature that is usually designed so that people can do installs on systems that are walled off from the Internet.

After what has happened it would be good to know what the timers are for the activation checks, etc., but I'm not sure that information will be shared with the community.
I'm sending a support email as I don't want to try anything and cause it to stop working. Unfortunately, I am fairly dependent on it working.

jmpage2

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm sending a support email as I don't want to try anything and cause it to stop working. Unfortunately, I am fairly dependent on it working.
De-activating won't break anything, worst case you just go to straight demo mode.. just make sure you have the current key. If you do the "email support" button from the settings area and then paste what it copies into a notepad document you will see the current key, make sure you have that for when you try to re-apply the key as you might have to do the offline activation method to get it going again.

saltwater

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I think you might misunderstand the problem. It has been reported that the problem occurred when BI instances were unsuccessful in phoning home and re-confirming activation after BI server crashed.
I was not affected by this problem. I couldn't be bothered posting a settings screenshot, but my system is set to "No automatic updates" and to check at startup and daily at 3:14:34 AM. So, daily throughout this issue my Blue Iris was 'phoning home' checking if updates were available. Obviously, the 'phoning home' part during this issue was hitting a brick wall and going nowhere. My Blue Iris system continued to work normally.

It may be reported as the 'phoning home' part is the issue, and I reckon a lot of users cling to that comment when in fact they may not have thoroughly investigated their system, there could be something else occurring, that they are not reporting. Just my 2 cents worth.

20yearblue

n3wb
Reaction score
We should not shift BlueIris’ incompetence to users/customers. If you’ve activated your software, there should never be a condition where it reverts to an expired trial and stops working. No updates, yes. But to deactivate your system for any reason is wrong. It reminds me of the terrible practice of some App Store developers who release a one time pay software, and then claw back to a subscription.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
We should not shift BlueIris’ incompetence to users/customers. If you’ve activated your software, there should never be a condition where it reverts to an expired trial and stops working. No updates, yes. But to deactivate your system for any reason is wrong. It reminds me of the terrible practice of some App Store developers who release a one time pay software, and then claw back to a subscription.
Well see what changes are made and if you are not satisfied try something else. In 15 years this never happens. If it happens again in 15 most could live with that. If you need 100 percent uptime you need failover servers and use a vms that supports it.

20yearblue

n3wb
Reaction score
To confirm, I have virtual failover servers that you just described (Proxmox). When I restore my virtual PC image of Blue Iris from a time prior to this issue it’s still even today as of July 13, if I allow it to auto update, it looks normal for a few hours, and then nukes my key to a zero day trial and stops all functionality. I don’t know about you, but certainly my email address is on file with Blue Iris. I have yet to receive an email of how they’re going to make it right for customers.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
To confirm, I have virtual failover servers that you just described (Proxmox). When I restore my virtual PC image of Blue Iris from a time prior to this issue it’s still even today as of July 13, if I allow it to auto update, it looks normal for a few hours, and then nukes my key to a zero day trial and stops all functionality. I don’t know about you, but certainly my email address is on file with Blue Iris. I have yet to receive an email of how they’re going to make it right for customers.
It states here they are currently dealing with a back log of emails:
Server recovery

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You don't understand the basics of a failover... It has to be rooted in the VMS itself otherwise it would not know if it failed...
They have announced the publicly on their website and Facebook page . But that's okay why have you not left yet why are you bitching like a little girl and begging them to make an announcement Just say fuck Blue Iris and move on to a better product You seem to believe there are many better options out there so why not use them?? Is your $30 investment holding you back?

Stop pretending that Blue Iris is some sort of commercial enterprise vms that you are using to secure government facilities with.... Again 15+ years and this is the first time we have seen something like this. But you are still unsatisfied and continue to bitch so please buy something else and post about how great it is so that others can see the light and move to a product that is superior to Blue Iris.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
If the actual issue is with the backend as talked about why did you think that failing over would yield any differing results?

mickiete

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just got home and checked, seems they might be winning, evaluation message has gone.