Blue Iris UI3

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't think you understand what I'm saying.
The encoding parameters DO have an effect. When I change them in the UI3 UI, the quality is affected when I view a single cam.
Are you saying that this shouldn't happen?
Yes

If so, why is it happening?
Because direct-to-wire is not working.

Corvus85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@Corvus85 Just in case you did not know, @bp2008 created UI3 so he should know what he is talking about. It's his code.
Yeah I get it. I'm not saying he doesn't understand UI3. I'm saying I don't think he was understanding what I saying, because it seems like we're going around in circles lol.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok. Why though? I've enabled the setting, and direct to wire is also enabled in my UI3 quality profile. Anything else I should try?
I'm pretty sure I didn't leave anything out.

• Camera sending H.264
  • Direct-to-disc enabled for the camera
  • Direct-to-wire enabled for the stream you're pulling

If all those are all achieved, you should be getting the direct-to-wire stream.

Yeah I get it. I'm not saying he doesn't understand UI3. I'm saying I don't think he was understanding what I saying, because it seems like we're going around in circles lol.
We're definitely going around in circles. I think you're just missing one of the details.

Corvus85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If all those are all achieved, you should be getting the direct-to-wire stream.
Ok but I've done all that, and changing the quality profile in UI3 still makes a difference to a solo camera view.

So the question is - why?

I think you're just missing one of the details.
Which detail? I've done all of the points you've mentioned. I'm saying that changing the quality profile still changes the quality of the solo camera view. By your admission, this means direct-to-wire isn't working. My question is why?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Could it be at 30FPS and your NUC and wifi can't keep up and it is pixelated as it tries to keep up?

For kicks drop it to 15FPS and see if it works on one camera.

Corvus85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Could it be at 30FPS and your NUC and wifi can't keep up and it is pixelated as it tries to keep up?
I don't have a NUC. I'm running a new 11th-gen i5 with 16GB RAM and a 6TB WD Purple drive.

Running it at 30fps is smooth as butter at 1440p. The point is that the quality visibly decreases in solo cam view if I decrease the resolution. If I understand correctly, this shouldn't happen with direct to wire, and reducing resolution shouldn't have an effect. But clearly here it does. Why?

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
What happened to your Micro Bi build? any insights you can share with the end result of that? People spent a lot of time with you trying troubleshoot that thing.

Corvus85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What happened to your Micro Bi build? any insights you can share with the end result of that? People spent a lot of time with you trying troubleshoot that thing.
It's still micro. I found a really small ITX case and modified it to fit a full sized 3.5 inch HDD. Works great now with ~8% total CPU utilisation and 8 cams.

Can we stay on topic though please?

Corvus85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
For sure, I can't think of anything else. See, my direct-to-wire works just fine.
Well here's my comparable settings while viewing a single cam, and as you can see, the detail in the image is noticeably reduced when switching from 1440p to 480p.
Any idea what could be causing this?

1660793428017.png1660793503265.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Um, the details are going to be significantly reduced going from 1440P to 480P. You are going from High Definition to below analog TV resolution.... Looks like you are pulling two different profiles - is it pulling main and sub direct to wire in your two situations?

Corvus85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Um, the details are going to be significantly reduced going from 1440P to 480P. You are going from High Definition to below analog TV resolution.... Looks like you are pulling two different profiles
I mean yeah, that's what I mean.
With 'direct to wire', this shouldn't be happening, because nothing should be reencoding in order to change the detail level when a solo camera is selected.
Is this not correct?

is it pulling main and sub direct to wire in your two situations?
Possibly. Does direct-to-wire also intelligently switch between mainstream and substream depending on which of the two resolutions is closest to the selected profile? That could explain it if so. But as far as I was aware, it only pulls from the mainstream. Happy to be wrong though.