Burning & Exploding Car - Yes, really.

Robert G.

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Everyone likes to see camera footage. Today I have one for you. It is of a car burning to the ground.

For fun, I will not describe it more than that. There is a bit of introduction into the video which lasts maybe 1 minute, then the action starts. Do watch the first bit, it is important to the story.

The video starts out in B&W and automatically turns to color when there is enough light from the flames!

Let me know what you think is going on here, I have no idea myself so would love your thoughts.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I'd say the "suspect" threw a flammable liquid in the car and torched it. The fire appears to start on the hood, windshield and front of the roof line.

Watching that makes me wonder about PTZ and auto tracking watching the camera struggle to focus on the fire and car.

Robert G.

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Watching that makes me wonder about PTZ and auto tracking watching the camera struggle to focus on the fire and car.
The camera was not auto tracking, I manually moved the camera around after I noticed all the flashing on my monitor from the flames on the right side.

For sure the camera was having major problems keeping focus with the dark & fire, guess fire is really bright ;-)

I went into the camera and turned it to manual focus which is why it stops doing the focus jitter after a while.

Robert G.

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if it was an insurance job.
My thoughts exactly. The owner probably is out of work, can't make the payments and needs to get rid of it. Maybe the value is less than he owes or who knows what. Just a quick two minute job and the insurance company can own it.

Here is another piece of info. for those watching the video.

You obviously notice the car is parked on the street. NO ONE parks on the street. It is legal, but the houses around all have off street parking so you never see cars parked on the street.

That was the first thing I found odd... why was someone parked on the street?

So I assume the guy parked it there with the plan to go out at 2:30 and take care of it.

Also you will notice in the video the 'suspect' does not appear to be carrying anything, or at least not anything large like a can of gas. Maybe he soaked the car earlier in the day. To bad I don't have any video of the actual action. Guess I will have to buy some more cameras ;)

DavidW

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
"Exploding car - Yes Really" in the title - proceeds to show a video without an explosion. Thought that was funny.

But seriously nice being there at the right time to capture that. Awful that someone would do this at all even if it's their own vehicle.

Robert G.

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
proceeds to show a video without an explosion.
Watch closer. These are real life explosions, not movie explosions. There is no audio obviously, but I have other camera angles (not of the vehicle) of people watching and when it explodes they jump back - THAT is funny.

Check here:

There is an explosion at that point, obviously with sound it would be much more impressive. I believe there are explosions at three different points.

Robert G.

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yea, that guy out jogging at 2:30 in the morning is funny. I have him captured on another camera as well. He must be involved somehow, who the hell would run past a burning car without stopping to look at it. Not like you see that every day.

I know the car, it is captured on my ALPR cameras all the time ;-) I have no idea who the owner is though.

coney27

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Obviously arson committed by the first guy running away from the car. If the idiot was smart or knew what he was doing he would have left all the doors open to facilitate more airflow. The more airflow the better the burn. Im sure the investigating PD would like to take a look at your video. Good capture.

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
Whoever went by first was probably the arsonist. Probably gasoline poured on windshield and down defroster ducts. This spread to the inside and heat busted the glass. then it went from there. I am sure the arson investigators would like to view your footage.
It looks like the air bags were the explosions.

Xeddog

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I thought it funny that they couldn't get the hood open. At that point, why didn't they just open the door and use the hood release? It might have survived.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I thought it funny that they couldn't get the hood open. At that point, why didn't they just open the door and use the hood release? It might have survived.
The "plastic" hood release handle? You think it was still there? ;)
Amazed at how strong the hood and latch was.
I saw 3 explosion's that launched shrapnel.
They didn't pop the trunk, because they could see into it looking through where the back seat used to be.
I wonder if the guy that comes along and stops for a bit to watch with a backpack on, was admiring his handy work.

Last edited: