Cable - CAT 5, CAT 6 CAT 7 or CAT 8 Too many to choose for a noob

FLGator

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Looking for suggestions of 100' run of cable with ends and waterproof connector on one end for an attic run? Too many to choose and I am lost at what CAT I should get for 5442s and the Hikvision DS-2CD2387G2P-LSU/SL 4K 8MP ColorVu 180.

Any help in providing suggestions is greatly appreciated.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
A pre-terminated Ethernet cable from China...if it's solid (not stranded), pure copper (not CCA) and has a CMR-rated jacket for in walls, crawl spaces, attics, ceilings and between floors...I'll be VERY surprised.

The best part about that amazon page is the words "FREE Returns"....IMO. :cool:

FLGator

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Dont cheap out on cable. The time and energy needed to install and replace a bad cable makes it insane not to go with a known reliable brand.
I agree, and that was the reason for the post, wanted to get what others have bought and know is good. I am not one to do terminations myself so hoping for some already pre-made cables I could purchase.

Jim I.

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I decided to use CAT 6 cable for the cameras since the rest of the house had been prewired with CAT 6 by the home builder. Three NIC jacks and one coax connection was installed in almost every room of the house, but no provisions for security cameras were wired. Go figure..
Monoprice is where I bought all of my cable. They usually have some good deals.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I agree, and that was the reason for the post, wanted to get what others have bought and know is good. I am not one to do terminations myself so hoping for some already pre-made cables I could purchase.
If you must have it pre-terminated, I'd go with these. I've purchased for a client that pretty much wanted the same: pre-terminated, CAT-6, 23 gauge, solid copper AND it has a CMP "Plenum" rated jacket (You can use CMP where CMR is required but not vice versa). Also, Monoprice has great customer service, quick shipping and great prices...the trifecta, IMO ==>> Monoprice Cat6 50ft Blue CMP Patch Cable, UTP, Solid, 23AWG, 550MHz, Pure Bare Copper, Snagless RJ45, Entegrade Series Ethernet Cable

From the monoprice product page:
  • Unshielded Twisted Pair (UTP) Category 6 Ethernet cable
  • 23AWG solid, pure bare copper conductors
  • 550MHz bandwidth
  • Snagless cable boot protects the plug retaining clip
  • CMP (Plenum) fire safety rating
  • Wired to the TIA/EIA‑568‑B standard
  • 50µm gold plated contacts
EDIT: and the "snagless' feature on these is NOT the kind that keeps you from pressing it fully and disengaging the male, it works easily.

Last edited:

Jim I.

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Looking for suggestions of 100' run of cable with ends and waterproof connector on one end for an attic run? Too many to choose and I am lost at what CAT I should get for 5442s and the Hikvision DS-2CD2387G2P-LSU/SL 4K 8MP ColorVu 180.

Any help in providing suggestions is greatly appreciated.
Keep in mind if you plan on running pre-terminated cable you will need to drill larger holes in walls, top plates, etc..in order for the connector to pass through. It's really not hard to crimp your own cable ends after you practice a few times. I bought a Klein cable tester to check my work afterwards.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

FLGator

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Keep in mind if you plan on running pre-terminated cable you will need to drill larger holes in walls, top plates, etc..in order for the connector to pass through. It's really not hard to crimp your own cable ends after you practice a few times. I bought a Klein cable tester to check my work afterwards.

I just don't trust my work. :)

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Doing termination isn’t that hard and it’s something that you need to know how to do if you’re going to be doing much wiring. People think that using terminated cables will make it easier - and it does as far as the termination goes - but it makes everything else about doing the job harder. Unless you have very easy runs you’ll likely end up having to do some over anyway. Along with needing to re-do some now and then for various reasons.

FLGator

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Doing termination isn’t that hard and it’s something that you need to know how to do if you’re going to be doing much wiring. People think that using terminated cables will make it easier - and it does as far as the termination goes - but it makes everything else about doing the job harder. Unless you have very easy runs you’ll likely end up having to do some over anyway. Along with needing to re-do some now and then for various reasons.
Ya, my runs are very easy, running from poking a hole in the soffit and then running thru the attic to a wall with a 3 inch hole for all the cables. :) I have built many cables before I just don't like doing them and trusting my work.

Rob2020

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Not familiar with Voltive but it looks OK. Monoprice is a great place to buy cable. If you buy the Klein termination tool (Home Depot) and pass through connectors it is easy to learn to terminate your own cables. If I can do it anyone can :rofl:

Your link is broken for me, cleaned up;

CAT 5/5E is easier to work with than the heavier cables.;)