Cable - CAT 5, CAT 6 CAT 7 or CAT 8 Too many to choose for a noob

Clark Griswald

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If I were redoing my home, then I would use 6a, but the 5e is currently doing well. I hope my 10/100 cameras don't push the limits of the cat 6 :)
I was seated when I googled the Levitron connectors price, since we have their panel, and being seated did not help.
Purchased True Cable's connectors and keystone jacks and now waiting for all parts to be delivered by next Friday.
I didn't want to waste my electrician's time, so I decided to wait for ALL parts required, and then confirm an installation date.

Starglow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If I were redoing my home, then I would use 6a, but the 5e is currently doing well. I hope my 10/100 cameras don't push the limits of the cat 6 :)
I was seated when I googled the Levitron connectors price, since we have their panel, and being seated did not help.
Purchased True Cable's connectors and keystone jacks and now waiting for all parts to be delivered by next Friday.
I didn't want to waste my electrician's time, so I decided to wait for ALL parts required, and then confirm an installation date.
Unless you're wanting to "future proof" your network infrastructure to run 10G over copper then Cat6a shielded is really overkill. Your Cat6 cable is fine and Cat5e is okay but could limit you down the road.