Cam recommendation for new patio and parking

Wolf4Ever

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I just moved and would like a cam or two for watching my cars and one on my patio for Amzon or whatever deliveries. I currently have two HFW1831EP 8mp 2.8mm/4.0mm, two T5442TM-AS 4mp 2.8mm, and one SD5A425XA-HNR 4mp PTZ. I may use one of the turrets or bullets for the patio cam if there's not much better as I already have them.
On the ones for the parking, I can't really use or mount the PTZ even if I could it would be too low. So, if anyone is interested make a fair offer or could trade for other cams I could use for the parking. I'm mainly wanting probably like 6mm+ for fixed or varifocal and if needed I can move it to needed area nightly depending on coverage.
I could do a mini PTZ but would need like x12/x25 zoom. I know HK (DS-2DE4A225IW-DE) makes some but not sure if Dahua does or not. Depending on which side the distance to the cars is 30/45'.

Attachments

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I just moved and would like a cam or two for watching my cars and one on my patio for Amzon or whatever deliveries. I currently have two HFW1831EP 8mp 2.8mm/4.0mm, two T5442TM-AS 4mp 2.8mm, and one SD5A425XA-HNR 4mp PTZ. I may use one of the turrets or bullets for the patio cam if there's not much better as I already have them.
On the ones for the parking, I can't really use or mount the PTZ even if I could it would be too low. So, if anyone is interested make a far offer or could trade for other cams I could use for the parking. I'm mainly wanting probably like 6mm+ for fixed or varifocal and if needed I can move it to needed area nightly depending on coverage.
I could do a mini PTZ but would need like x12/x25 zoom. I know HK (DS-2DE4A225IW-DE) makes some but not sure if Dahua does or not. Depending on which side the distance to the cars is 30/45'.
Before spending the money confirm that the condo association nazi's wont make you remove them.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
My first question is do you have assigned spaces to park in, or is it "first come first served"? If you have assigned spaces, then I think you can use fixed cameras to cover your cars. However if your spaces are not assigned, I don't think fixed cameras can give you broad enough coverage to cover 5-10 spaces while giving you detailed enough footage to be able to provide police with "identifiable" footage (ie footage that is clear and detailed enough for the police to arrest someone based on your footage alone). You'll need to be "zoomed" into the space pretty tightly to provide that level of footage. The PTZ camera would give you the ability to manually zoom into your cars, wherever they happen to be parked in the lot.

I'm also guessing that you cannot permanently install anything on the exterior walls. You'll need to create some sort of mount that you can use in conjunction with the window to be able to mount it. In overly simplistic terms, some sort of "L" or "Z" bracket that would stick out from between the window sections. Or perhaps you could find a strong enough adhesive that you could "glue" the camera to a window pane (at the very top of the window).

Last edited:

Wolf4Ever

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
My first question is do you have assigned spaces to park in, or is it "first come first served"? If you have assigned spaces, then I think you can use fixed cameras to cover your cars. However if your spaces are not assigned, I don't think fixed cameras can give you broad enough coverage to cover 5-10 spaces while giving you detailed enough footage to be able to provide police with "identifiable" footage (ie footage that is clear and detailed enough for the police to arrest someone based on your footage alone). You'll need to be "zoomed" into the space pretty tightly to provide that level of footage. The PTZ camera would give you the ability to manually zoom into your cars, wherever they happen to be parked in the lot.

I'm also guessing that you cannot permanently install anything on the exterior walls. You'll need to create some sort of mount that you can use in conjunction with the window to be able to mount it. In overly simplistic terms, some sort of "L" or "Z" bracket that would stick out from between the window sections. Or perhaps you could find a strong enough adhesive that you could "glue" the camera to a window pane (at the very top of the window).
No assigned spaces and would like a PTZ but if not, I would just move the bullet/turret to the needed spot not great but if it works, I deal with it. No major issues yet around me but have had a few cats stolen off cars. I wouldn't care as much but this housing is mostly university kids the speed around and if they ding/hit a car just take off. So, if nothing else I may look into the HK smaller PTZs I can't find any from Dahua. I don't know if Andy could get one or if I just have to change someone on AliExpress as retail last time I looked was like $700-$900 for them. I was looking for like $400-$450ish.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
The Dahua SD49225XA-HNR is slightly smaller than the PTX camera you already have, but not that much smaller (it's about 6.3"x11.6" vs the 7.5"x13" your current camera is). It is also just a 2mp camera on a smaller sensor size. So while the cost is much lower (about $400), the nighttime performance is going to be on-par with your current camera and it has 1/2 the resolution of your current camera meaning it will need to be zoomed in further to provide the same level of detail compared to your current PTZ camera.

Wolf4Ever

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The Dahua SD49225XA-HNR is slightly smaller than the PTX camera you already have, but not that much smaller (it's about 6.3"x11.6" vs the 7.5"x13" your current camera is). It is also just a 2mp camera on a smaller sensor size. So while the cost is much lower (about $400), the nighttime performance is going to be on-par with your current camera and it has 1/2 the resolution of your current camera meaning it will need to be zoomed in further to provide the same level of detail compared to your current PTZ camera.
Thanks, yea I had that one before my current one, then sold it to fund my new one. I guess the price came down on the HKs looking around they are $450-$500 depending on 2/4mp but would most likely do 2mp due to sensor size.

Wolf4Ever

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Ok, sent an email and got in writing I can put up cams. I ordered one of the HK mini PTZ as I can't really mount the SD5A425XA-HNR and even if I could near the celling would really still be too low.

Last edited: