Camera Issues

Mar16

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Andy,

I bought 3 Vari-Focal IPC-T5442T-ZE off of you from Amazon Canada, but one of them doesn't seem to work, it shows that it is getting power from my PoE switch, but it never gets an IP address.

I have tried another IP camera in that spot to see if the ethernet cable was the problem, but the other camera works, so it seems to be something wrong with the camera.

Thanks

Sphinxicus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hey @Mar16

I only ask this because you havent stated otherwise so forgive me if im teaching you to suck eggs :)

Have you tried connecting to it via the dahua config tool from a PC on the same subnet? A scan on the same subnet will find it via MAC address rather than IP. These cams default to (i believe) 192.168.1.108/24 (i could be wrong on the last octet). You would need to give it a unique IP address within the same network as you are connecting it to. I dont believe they default to DHCP so they won't be "given" an IP address untill configured to solicit from DHCP server (can also be done via config tool).

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1^^^.
Also, don't plug all of them in at once...do one at a time and assign each cam a unique IP address that is outside of your router's DHCP pool.

In other words, if router's LAN is 192.16.1.1 and its DHCP server pool is 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.199, that leaves you 192.168.1.200 to 192.168.1.254 for cams, printers, smart TV's, etc.

EDIT: BTW, Welcome to IPCT ! :wave:

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
As mentioned, these cameras don't have DHCP turned on by default. (This is because they are more "commercial" grade devices that will be installed by "professionals" vs the typical consumer grade device that is designed to be "plug and play").

If your network devices are on a address scheme of 192.168.1.X, then you can probably plug one camera in at a time and go to the network address of 192.168.1.108. That should bring up the GUI for the camera and you can go in and turn on DHCP. Do this for each camera one at a time.

If your network address scheme is something other than 192.168.1.X, then you will need to connect the cameras directly to the network port of a laptop or other computer. Turn wifi off that computer and manually set the address of that computer's network port to 192.168.1.100 (or really anything other than 192.168.1.108). Then on the laptop go to the 192.168.1.108 address on a browser and it should bring up the camera's GUI. You can turn on DHCP and then connect the cameras to the normal network and they will be assigned a network address in your DHCP range.

Mar16

n3wb
Reaction score
I have about 6 cameras up and running now and I did them all one at a time use the Dahua Config tool. The other 6 all got the 192.168.1.108 ip address each time and then I was able to reserve a different ip which they are now under 192.168.25.x.

I might have to put my laptop under the same subnet to see if it can get the mac address from the camera because when I enter 192.168.1.108 into a browser it times out, with the other cameras, I was able to access the web ui.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Just for a laugh, take off the cover on the SD card slot of the camera and hold the reset button down for about 10 or 15 seconds with power applied. That will "default" the camera and, if it's working OK, it should become available at 192.168.1.108 again (hopefully).

Last edited:

Sphinxicus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have about 6 cameras up and running now and I did them all one at a time use the Dahua Config tool. The other 6 all got the 192.168.1.108 ip address each time and then I was able to reserve a different ip which they are now under 192.168.25.x.
So the config tool doesnt spot this camera when you do a scan?

I might have to put my laptop under the same subnet to see if it can get the mac address from the camera because when I enter 192.168.1.108 into a browser it times out, with the other cameras, I was able to access the web ui.
Its always possible that for some reason this cam hasnt got the 192.168.1.108 ip configured. If you're using a linux device you could use arpping to see if you can hit the MAC addresss. Could try giving it a factory reset via the button first. But regardless of what IP network you are plugging these into, as long as you are running the config tool from a device on the same broadcast domain as the camera, it should find it. Its using Layer 2 hardware addresses, IP address doesnt matter for the scan.

These things are sent to try us :)

Mar16

n3wb
Reaction score
So the config tool doesnt spot this camera when you do a scan?
No, it doesn't show up, it just has the 6 cameras that are already setup.

Its always possible that for some reason this cam hasnt got the 192.168.1.108 ip configured. If you're using a linux device you could use arpping to see if you can hit the MAC addresss. Could try giving it a factory reset via the button first. But regardless of what IP network you are plugging these into, as long as you are running the config tool from a device on the same broadcast domain as the camera, it should find it. Its using Layer 2 hardware addresses, IP address doesnt matter for the scan.

I tried to factory reset it, but nothing happened, it still didn't get an ip. I will see if I can spin up a linux VM and see if I can find the MAC address. Otherwise, I think there might be something wrong with the camera.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Make sure it isn't a power overload on the POE switch you are using and unplug every camera but this one and see if you can see it.

Mar16

n3wb
Reaction score
Make sure it isn't a power overload on the POE switch you are using and unplug every camera but this one and see if you can see it.
My POE switch is fine, I just checked it and there is plenty of room. It shows that it is using 33.34W / 222.00W.

Alternately, try a wall wart for powering the camera.
I just tried it with a POE injector that is powering one of my other cameras and it still doesn't show up.

It looks like their is something wrong with this camera, hopefully Andy can exchange it.