Camera Placement/Selection - Photos Included

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

A week and a half ago I started a thread with some general questions, here. I learned a lot, and it gave me some direction as to what I want to do. Now I'm back with my property layout and some of my ideas on how to move forward. I'm looking for feedback so I can dodge mistakes before I make them. My budget has increased to $3500, but if I can come in much lower that's always a plus.

Things that are important to me:
  • Great low light cameras. The ability to ID people. Doing it in color would be great, but I suppose it's not 100% required.
  • Great human detection/vehicle detection with a low amount of false alarms.
  • Ability to view cameras and receive alerts via phone.
  • Robust AI features. I've seen some videos where people are using stationary fixed focal length cameras to trigger a PTZ cam and have it identify and follow a person. I'd like to hear people's thoughts on that type system and whether it's safe to rely on that type of setup. Also, what's the proper terminology for that type of setup?
FOV is accurately depicted in all illustrations below:

Here's my property.
1707963231670.png

Current State - 4x SimpliSafe Cameras
1707963548085.png

Future State - I'm thinking I want to cover the same areas, but better. I'd also like to add coverage to what I call "the far backyard".
  • 5x EmpireTech IPC-Color4K-T 8MP 1/1.2". I heard what people said about the night vision being less effective on these. However, I think they would give me the coverage and color I'm looking for while alerting the PTZ cameras to zoom in, track, and ID any people detected. Right?
  • 3x EmpireTech PTZ425DB-AT 1/2.8" 4MP 25x. I'm hoping these would be fixed on important areas, and then alerted to motion by the other cameras. I have this vision in my head, where if I mount 1 of these on each of the opposing corners of the house, they will each have 270 degrees or range and essentially each cover half of the house. Is that a ridiculous way to think about it?
1707963998051.png

Before I take the time to draw out more potential options, what are people's thoughts on my idea so far?
I'm willing to swap the color cams out for the EmpireTech IPC-T54IR-ZE-S3 1/1.8" cams if necessary. I guess I just really thought color would be nice.
Are there any glaring issues with how I'm mounting the cameras?
Will mounting PTZs on the corner of the house work the way I think it will, giving me a 270 degree view that covers 2 whole sides of the house?
Can I achieve the whole "trigger camera" setup with an EmpireTech NVR and the cameras I listed?
I plan on purchasing 1 each of several different cameras before I invest in a whole setup just to make sure my lighting conditions work with the cameras i choose. Which EmpireTech PoE NVR should I choose?

Here's some more photos of the house to give an idea of elevations and whatnot:
7243760_capture_request_12.jpg
7243760_capture_request_4.jpg
7243760_capture_request_6.jpg
7243760_capture_request_7.jpg
7243760_capture_request_9.jpg
7243760_capture_request_13.jpg
7243760_capture_request_14.jpg
7243760_capture_request_15.jpg
7243760_capture_request_18.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

garycrist

Known around here
Reaction score
If you can stand the size of the bullets (4K-X) and want the cams as a deterrent then those see better IMHO
than turrets. A turret under your address on the front entry, will help catch people coming up the drive
and sidewalk.