Cat5/6 Cable - Currently very cheap / on offer at Newegg

Kenjusticejr

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
wow, I usually just buy a 300 foot roll and make my own, but I'm going to have to check these prices out. Might be cheaper for me to buy 100 foot pieces...Thanks

RDC

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Offer ends today so be quick. 100ft for $5.57 and a 1000ft roll for $50!. Also Free shipping from Newegg with Shoprunner

Kenjusticejr

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
1K foot roll of cat6 for about $60 is worth it to me..thanks..ordering now

Kenjusticejr

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
had to buy blue, one wouldn't let me add to cart, and others were out of stock...but heck, for less than $60, can't beat it...awesome...i'll be stocked for the rest of my POE runs now...happy camper here :0)

Kenjusticejr

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
one of my favorite tricks is to wire up the RJ45 with the blue and brown pairs...I leave them hanging out...Then, I grab the power supply for whatever device I'm powering, chop it in the middle, strip the wires, and splice them onto the blue (for positive) and brown (for negative) to send passive POE down the cable... Works pretty good...only had one problem with a lack of volts/amps at the powered device....It's a nice alternative to true POE and cuts down on extension cords, and ugly wires hanging around the cameras......... IF anyone wants to know more about this trick, a simple google search will work to provide sufficient information... OR, just find out the size of your power jack and buy a passive POE splitter for (usually) less than $5.

(reposting this in a new thread for anyone else who may benefit from it)...

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
Wow heck of a deal! Thanks very much for sharing @RDC

Last edited:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Some of those patch cables I notice have really small wire gauge. Like 30 AWG. Ethernet cable is usually 23 or 24 AWG. I don't know if this has any effect on its usability or durability though, but I suspect it might shorten the usable range of PoE and maybe make the wires heat up more.

Kenjusticejr

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
well, my 1K feet is on the way in the UPS truck right now..will have it shortly..within the hour if I had to guess.... Either way, I've seen several of these power supplies with VERY small wires... some of them so small, I couldn't even hardly splice into them... some of the 12v 2amp ones I have are at most 30AWG... I've used the cat5/6 with small stranded wires before over long runs with POE and never had any issues...one I ran when deployed to Iraq was right at about 280 feet and it was the worst quality cable you could imagine. The kind of wire that if you try to strop the insulation off of an individual strand with your thumbnail, it would break and leave you with about 2 or 3 itty bitty strands left hanging out. Otherwise, I will let you know what I come up with, because with the 1K feet showing up here in a bit, I have 3 POE runs, one will be about 200 feet, the other about 225 feet and a short one.

Kenjusticejr

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
550MHz, Cat 6, UTP Standed, Copper, Bulk Netwrok
24AWG
^^^ I copied and pasted, and then realized their typo. Funny....

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
The 1000 foot spool looked to be 24 AWG which is about perfect. Not too thick to fit in most connectors. I once got a 23 AWG cable spool with thick insulation on each wire and had to strip every other individual wire to make it fit all the way in rj45 connectors. Incredibly difficult to do properly. So that spool is used mainly for rj45 keystone jacks now since they don't need the wires to be thin.

Lebeter

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If the application is for in-wall or conduit installations I would recommend against this stuff. It was a great deal for a reason, its cheap cable. Stranded and no isolation member. Try running that through walls or sharp conduit and you will witness first hand the cable collapsing/crimping on itself potentially ruining a cable run. I can see it for jumper or end use cables, but not for in wall cable installations that most people on this forum need for mounting cameras. I ran across some similar mohawk cat6 cable for FREE and I would never buy that stuff after my experience. Yeah solid core with an isolation member is stiff, but the stuff will last and is way easier to pull without worrying about it snagging and collapsing on itself. The other thing I would say is to get an EZRJ-45 crimper and connectors. There are a few methods to getting a regular crimper down reliably but its still nothing compared to using an EZRJ45. I will never go back to regular crimpers especially if you've ever sat down and had to crimp multiple cables only to test them and re-do half of them. Are we saving money yet? I know most people are DIY hobbyists here, looking for cheap cameras etc., but take some free advice and save yourself the headache.

Kenjusticejr

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Just delivered...little bit more "rubbery" than the other stuff I had, but for as cheap as I got it, it'll work just fine.. 7 strands in each wire, and very flexible. Stripped the outer casing and lined them up to put in an RJ45 connector and they slid right in fine. Good cheap wire for the money.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I've never had a spool of stranded wire ethernet cable before. I would have thought the relative lack of stiffness would make it difficult to put in an RJ45 connector. But I guess that is not the case?

Kenjusticejr

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
takes me about 2 minutes to do solid Ethernet cable into an RJ45, about 2 1/2 minutes to do it with stranded wire. so, a bit more difficult, but I've done a LOT of them, lol..so, not too big of a deal for me.